Mercury 7.5 Oil & Gas Mixture

davidh50

Cadet
I recently purchased a small fishing boat with a 7.5 HP Mercury Outboard that runs like a dream. This morning I was working on the trailer and when I tilted the motor down, I noticed water, gas & oil in a small puddle underneath the foot. I took it out yesterday and it ran fine and I'm sure the water is from the prop. But I'm sure where the oil and gas is coming from and it's a milky brown in color. Is this normal??

Thanks,
davidh

Laddies

Banned
Re: Mercury 7.5 Oil & Gas Mixture

If the engine was idled right up till it was shut off or if the fuel was not run out before the engine was tipped up it's probably normal, ck the fluid in the gearcase thats the only other place it could have come from.

davidh50

Cadet

That's probably what happened. I tilted the motor up as soon as I got it on the trailer while it was still in the water. Before I used it the first time (yesterday), I had to put a new impeller in it and while I had the foot off, I drained out the old gear oil and put new in. It wasn't leaking any oil when I got it put back together. I'll sleep a little better now!! Thanks so much!

David

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

What color was the old gear oil you drained out?