old gas tank restore

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class
im not sure if this is in the right thred or not but here gos.i just found a really old evinrude gas tank and would like to restore it.what sort of paint should i use and how would you clean the inside and is there anything to change?ect.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Re: old gas tank restore

Cleaning would depend on what's in it. If it's just gas residue, rinse with a strong solvent of your choice. It it's rust, you'll need to electrocute it.

There are only a few parts that normally need replacing. If it's a dual-line pressure tank you may need to replace the manifold gasket if the tank leaks or won't hold pressure. If the primer button on top of the tank fails to prime, you'll need to replace the diaphragm. Both these items are under $5 each. Then there's the o-rings in the end of the connector. They're only a buck and a half each but sometimes a pain to replace.

As far as paint, I'd paint it red. Available from Wal-Mart. Or if you really want to be authentic you can order a spray can from www.nymarine.ca. After shipping, packing, handling, Foreign Transfer Fee it'll run you about $40.

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

how exsacly would i electrocute the tank?

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

It's easy but it makes no sense for me to re-write what's been written. Just Google electrolytic rust removal.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

laingsoutboards.com has the rebuild kits, there are 2 types one for the tank with the metal plunger button, and one for the with the black plastic plunger button. includes the o rings for the connector.

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

i find it strange that i can not find any of the rebuild kits on ebay????????

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

because they can't buy them at a cost, they can afford to markdown the price. people buy them rebuild the tanks, so they can get the price they get for the tanks. i've rebuilt 2 tanks. it's a simple process. but i'm out of tanks, and just converted my 58 35 to fuel pump. the price i got for the tank cover the cost of the conversion parts.