Mid 70's 1150 Water Circulation

KBADC

Cadet
Hello From Manitoba Canada!

I recently purchased a boat with a mid 70's 115Hp Merc. I notice that upon low idle, very little water comes from the 2 rear ports. I have checked this with the motor at higher Rpm's and the water flow is substantially greater. I am wondering if this is the case with all 1150's or if anyone thinks I may have some sand blockage ect. I was told when I purchased this boat that the water impeller was recently changed.
Kevin

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: Mid 70's 1150 Water Circulation

Most goes out the lower..if ya have a good pee stream, don't worry about it

KBADC

Cadet

You mean the exhaust outlet thru the prop? ... and thanks.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Looking from the rear of the boat, you should see a stream of water coming from a hole on the right/rear side of the engine, just below the cowling.

And Welcome to iboats!!!

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

It should look like this..click to inlarge..back buttom to return

Attachments

• Robby's Flatty project (70).jpg
    Robby's Flatty project (70).jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 0

GoToFish

Cadet

A little is nornal, long as your getting a good pee stream as in photo all is ok.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the pee stream is the last link in the cooling system, the block fills with water, and finally gets to the pee stream. if you don't have the pee stream you have no water bring pumped. although this doe not necessarily mean the engine is being cooled, as if the thermostat does not open. it does not cool after being warmed up. the pee stream is an indicator that the water pump is working, only.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

true, just a canned post on cooling. so no pee stream no cooling at all. unless a critter is using it as a home. in that case , run a piece of weed eater line up the outlet, to clear the hose.

KBADC

Cadet

The motor did not have a strong pee line as in that pic with the muffs on. I will try the weedeater line trick. Nonetheless I have ordered myself a Cd rom manual in case I have to replace the impeller. If I do the replacement, is a water impeller gskt kit required or do I only require the impeller?

BSF

Recruit

Hello i just bought a boat with a mid 70's 1500 150hp merc.. i am having a similar problem, i get NO pee stream out of the hose.. is it also supposed to blow water out the small fins above the propeller? .. thanks for your patience, i dont know anything about marine motors :) also, if it sounds like a bad water pump, how hard are they to change??

Thanks
Blair

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Hi Blair and Welcome to iboats! Sounds like the impeller is shot. You should start your own thread so folks can find it easier and help you out.