1996 Force 120 - Need help with Impeller & fuel pump

viffer1

Recruit
Hey guys, Somewhat of a new boater here.:redface:
I am hoping you can help me out. I have a 1996 Force 120 that is way overdue for an impeller change. I ordered the parts and a service manual (clymer)but some items on my order were backordered and Manual did not come in. I was really hoping to put my boat in the water for the season this weekend and I have a few questions.
1) could someone explain to me the method of changing impeller on this motor. Maybe somebody could scan the page in the manual and email it to me. (rumbandit@gmail.com)
2) if I go ahead and get the impeller changed is the fuel pump rebuild somthing I could do while the boat is in the water once I get the manual? Where is it located?

Thanks!!!:)

viking66

Cadet
Re: 1996 Force 120 - Need help with Impeller & fuel pump

The fuel pump is very easy. Follow the fuel line to a square box, located starboard side of the motor half way back, it has 3 hoses connected. One is for the fuel in, one for the fuel out, the other for vaccuum. Disconnect those hoses, noting where each goes.

The pump comes off with 2 screws, the other 2 hold it together.

When taking the screws that hold the pump together use care since there is a spring inside.

Once apart you will see how easy it is to re-assemble.

I found it alot easier to re-connect the hoses prior to screwing it back on to the motor.

Hope this helps.

Thom

viffer1

Recruit

Thanks Viking66!:)

You know anything about the Impeller Change? I did some searching on the forums to get an idea but I was hoping for a step by step for my model.

valencehsift

Seaman

Just remove the lower end.
1) Remove the exhaust snout
2) Remove the hidden bolt inside the ehaust that holds the lower end on
3) Remove the cotter pin from shift rod (located at very front of motor leg)
4) Remove the 4 bolts of each side of lower unit.
5) The lower end should drop from there, the impeller housing sit's right on top. You will have to undo 4 or 5 smaller bolts and voila, the impeller.
6) Remove housing, noting which way the viens are bent on the impeller.
7) Remove the impeller, make sure you dont lose impeller key, it will sit on the flat side of the shaft
8) Lightly grease the inside of the housing
9) Install new gasket
10) Install new impeller and key
11) Install housing, make sure veins are facing the same way as the old one
12) You ready to re-install the lower unit, now whe doing so, you may have to put it in gear, this will allow you to move the prop, to turn the shaft so you can line it up properly and re fasten all the bolts

An exrta pair of hands helps but can be done by yourself. It is usually recomended that you use locktite on all the bolts and drain the lower end and re-grease it.

I think that pretty much handles it. Have fun and good luck.

valencehsift

Seaman

Oh ya, don't forget to put the cotter pin back in the shift rod pin, otherwise you will go nowhere in a hurry!!

viking66

Cadet

As far as the impeller goes that is not to hard if you take your time.

The main thing when doing this is to have it in neutral, and not move the shift rod that goes into the lower unit. If you move this rod, your shift will be in one gear, and the lower end will be in another.

That said, you must remove the lower unit. I found that the easiest way was to put the motor as horizontal as possible. Remove all of the bolts and nuts holding it on. If it does not drop away right off, you may have to give it a whack or two with a rubber mallet.

The entire lower unit, and driveshaft will come off.

Here is what you should see...

Look over the water pump kit to familiarize yourself with the parts, just like the fuel pump, very easy if you take your time. You will figure it out.

Attachments

• 120.jpg
    120.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 0

viffer1

Recruit

Thanks guys!!! You guys are GREAT!!! I am going to attempt this first thing in the morning before I go to the lake.:D

viffer1

Recruit

:D
Well, It is done. Thanks to the help of you guys everything went smooth. It was not as hard as I had imagined and I feel great learning something about the workings of my outboard.
Thanks again!