removing pinstriping

ph98223

Cadet
I have a 1993 searay the pinstriping is all ruined so iam removing it what is the best stuf to remove the left over residue from the adhesive with out damaging
the gelcoat

johnson1989

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: removing pinstriping

Removing Pin Striping is a bear. I started trying to use solvents or cleaners to no avail. My best Freind was what is called a Eraser in the body shop industry. It is a circlular Disk that is eraser type material. You hook it up to a drill or air gun and spin the Pin Striping off. Its awesome!

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/ast1208a.html

You can get them pretty cheap at like autozone or some place like that. Around $15 - $20

ph98223

Cadet

iam using a heat gun to remove the bulk i just want to make sure i get all the residue so when i go buff and wax i wont just spread it around thanks for the info

daniel2229

Seaman

Start with the least obnoxious solvent you can find. Water is the universal solvent, and after you add some mild soap to the mixture remove as much of the gunk as possible. Stay away from strong detergents that can dull the finish. Look for car soaps that are safe for Vettes; however, I'm guessing the gel coat on cars is probably not chemically identical to that of watercraft.

Then move up the scale with some tar remover that contains a petroleum distillate. Call your nearby Chevy dealership to see what is safe to remove road tar from the gel coat on Corvettes.

If that doesn't do anything, then go for Goo Gone Citrus cleaner, but I would go sparingly instead of slathering it on. Work a small area and avoid allowing the solution to go where no sticky material is not. I have used Goo Gone Citrus on the soft bummper covers of my cars to remove the road tar that just won't come off with petroleum distillates for years with no ill effects.

I would NEVER yield to the tempation of using the one thing that probably would remove the gunk in a flash -- laquer thinner! It would eat into the gel coat instantly. It maybe look clean, but in a few weeks or months there would be a dullness of the gel coat that could not be cheaply repaired.

Daniel

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Goo-Gone may cut the residue. Or WD-40 on a rag. They make a specific decal adhesive remover you may find at the auto parts store. Usually the Goo-Gone does pretty good..

daniel2229

Seaman

Start with the least obnoxious solvent you can find. Water is the universal solvent, and after you add some mild soap to the mixture remove as much of the gunk as possible. Stay away from strong detergents that can dull the finish. Look for car soaps that are safe for Vettes; however, I'm guessing the gel coat on cars is probably not chemically identical to that of watercraft.

Then move up the scale with some tar remover that contains a petroleum distillate. Call your nearby Chevy dealership to see what is safe to remove road tar from the gel coat on Corvettes.

If that doesn't do anything, then go for Goo Gone Citrus cleaner, but I would go sparingly instead of slathering it on. Work a small area and avoid allowing the solution to go where no sticky material is not. I have used Goo Gone Citrus on the soft bummper covers of my cars to remove the road tar that just won't come off with petroleum distillates for years with no ill effects.

I would NEVER yield to the tempation of using the one thing that probably would remove the gunk in a flash -- laquer thinner! It would eat into the gel coat instantly. It maybe look clean, but in a few weeks or months there would be a dullness of the gel coat that could not be cheaply repaired.

Daniel

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Using products to remove anything from the body of a Corvette on a boat is just not right.
Corvettes are painted. They do not have exposed gelcoat.

So anything that is okay for the paint on a Corvette may not be okay for the gelcoat on a boat.

nwfd39

Cadet

Use wd-40 it works great. Its an old painters trick to remove adhesive left from masking tape.

salty87

Commander

what worked best for me to get off the adhesive residue was whatever chemical you want (i used wd-40 but i'm sure goo gone would work) and a stainless steel pot scrubber (or 2). liberally apply the wd-40 and swirl the pot scrubber around working a section at a time. then wipe off the residual slop with a towel. don't mash the srubber as hard as you can, just glide it over.

the scrubber has tons of little holes to gather up the no longer adhering glue. otherwise, you just smear it around a bunch.

hoytultratec

Cadet

i just did my boat i tried many method i learned on here, this is what worked best.

hair dryer heat a foot at a time get it hot.....

get a couple of plastic scraper...i also used a ice scraper for windows it worked the best because it didnt flex.

heat a foot at a time scrape them off...mine were 20 years old they came off but it wasnt easy.

goof off......goof off...goof off and more goof off for the rest of the glue.

good luck hoyt

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

May have missed it, but obviously it has been on there for awhile. All the while the rest of the hull was fading out. So you will probably have a shadow from where it was.

Don't know if you plan to replace it or not, nor where you are, but around here jobbers come to auto dealerships to detail their cars.

You can catch them in a slack period and get it redone for a very reasonable price. I mean pinstriping is pinstriping whether on a car, truck, or boat.

Mark

ph98223

Cadet

thanks for all help i used a heat gun to peal the tape and wd-40 to clean up
the left over residue it is done and now i need to buff it out to get rid of
left over shadow from the pinstriping