1970's Evinrude problem

Remo_5_0

Recruit
Hi, newbie to this forum and to boating. Got a hankering for a fishing boat so I went and bought one from a guy who stated that he had the boat out all last summer and it ran great (he seemed honest)? Anyway I got the boat started (Evinrude 175 h.p from the 70's) at my house using muffs (hard to start but got it going finally) ran ok and idled ok. Took it to the lake and got it started, let it warm up but when I dropped the idle lever to engage the power it just died, did this off and on for an hour. Found a mechanic at the lake and he stated that the carbs may be fouled, he had it for two weeks, cleaned the carbs but the same problem is happening, he called me back and stated that he thought it was a spark problem and that he could not or doesn't know how to fix it. Any ideas on what is wrong? Thanks for any help.

warrior1

Seaman
Re: 1970's Evinrude problem

have you checked the plugs themselves? equal fouling/ carbon buildup on all plugs, or any wet plugs?
have you checked for spark at each cylinder with a spark checker?
how does it sound at high idle? even through all cylinders or like its missing, lopey or uneven?
i use a handheld remote starter switch and a spark checker, (or my hand)(when im bored, i see how long i can crank it and hold on).:D

Remo_5_0

Recruit

I pulled the plugs and they are brand new, I haven't checked the spark on each cylinder but I will when I get it home this week, is it odd that a mechanic stated thqt it can't be fixed? or does he just not know what he is doing? Thanks

warrior1

Seaman

did he clean the carbs or rebuild them. big difference.
figuring out whether it is a fuel issue, or spark issue is the first step.

is he an outboard mechanic?

i have worked on cars, (certified gm and mitsubishi tech) rebuilt numerous engines, worked on hot rods, performed engine swaps, and dealt with computer pcm/efi issues.
however, a 2 stroke outboard is a new beast that i am starting to conquer with the help of this forum.

there are some constants between 2 and 4 stroke. spark, fuel, timing, compression.
your mechanic may not be inept, just confused or not motivated to work on your problem.

these guys on the forum have helped me out tremendously with the ins and outs of evinrudes/johnsons. they will get you lined out. and save you time and money:D:D

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

sorry but I disagree w/warrior1 - that is an inept mechanic and should refund every dollar you paid him. if it's a spark problem he should have known it before he touched the carbs. But I do agree that just cause he said he cleaned the carbs, don't mean the carbs aren't the problem.

1. find the model number on the port side mounting bracket.
2. order a factory shop manual from kencook.com
3. get a compression gauge & check the compression on each cylinder.
4. get a spark tester, set it for 7/16" and check the spark on each cylinder.
5. drain & clean the fuel tank, or get a portable 6 gal tank, and fill it with fresh 87 octane gasoline premixed 50:1 with tcw3 oil
6. inspect all fuel lines, replace any that are stiff or show signs of age.
7. does the fuel line hold pressure?
8. make sure the fuel tank vent is clear.
9. cylinder drop test: with the engine idling, pull and then replace one spark plug wire at a time, and note any changes in RPM's. Use a spark plug boot tool or insulated pliers, or your mother-in-law, to protect yourself from electro-shock therapy. ;)
10. take the airbox cover off, and make sure the choke plates are opening completely (perfectly horizontal) except when the choke is engaged.

report your results, including the model # of your motor

welcome to iboats!

Remo_5_0

Recruit

Thanks Warrior and Texas. Luckily the mechanic is not charging me anything so in my mind that makes me think that he doesn't know what he was doing, I will take the steps that you outlined and see if I can get this thing up and running and on the water. The mechanic did state that he thinks it is a spark timing problem.

warrior1

Seaman

well, inept was what i was thinking, but i was trying to be nice about not directly calling him inept, and leaving that for remo to figure out. but, you hit the nail on the head.
if you didnt pay him, that is probably a good signal to find someone who knows what they are doing. if they know what they are doing, they will damn sure charge you for it, or ask for a date with your sister in exchange.
$80\hr shop rate around my town. thats why i frequent this forum.

if he didnt know how to check the timing on the engine, he probably just said that was the problem and washed his hands of it. no money = no motivation.

if you follow the list in the last post, you will be on your way.

keep the faith :D i personally love a challenge of getting something running and figuring it out along the way. much more satisfying :D