Boat Registration Letters

Morty

Cadet
Just purchased boat registration letters with the paper on top and the sticky back.

The directions say to use Sticker ON! What is this stuff, and do I really need to use it?

I'm going boating this weekend and I did not know that I needed this stuff.
Can I get by using something different?

Thanks Morty

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: Boat Registration Letters

I have put on those using windex and a squeegee or plastic scraper. Wet the sticker or the boat down with the windex, put the sticker where you want it and move it into position while it is still wet with the windex; then take the squeegee or scraper and pull it across the paper a couple of times pretty hard to get all of the liquid and air bubbles out from under the adhesive. I usually let it set for a few minutes, then carefully pull the paper backing off peeling or kind-of rolling it back keeping it close to touching itself as you remove it from the decals.​

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Studly has it except you need to remove the paper from the sticky side before putting it in position. :)
The Sticker-on or Windex or soapy water is to make it easier for the novice to get the letters exactly where you want them.
And also to get them on without air bubbles.

Otherwise as soon as the letter touches the boat and you try to pull it away for better positioning it stretches and gets distorted, usually.

The above stuff lets you slide'em around then squeege the slippery stuff out from behind them so they stick.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I always measure and mark where they need to go then just put them on dry with a hard plastic decal squeege..never tried the wet method..

Coors

Captain

And the wet method is good for large pieces, like window tint; just slide it around to were you want it, and sqeegee from the middle out.