Loss Of RPM's

FORRESTP

Recruit
The details: 1989 90HP Merc., 3 cylinder, 2 stroke, oil injection. Starts fine, idles fine, runs cool.
The Problem: When I throttle up to leave the marina sometimes, not always, I can only get the motor to turn around 2200 rpm's. It is a very intermittant problem. I never know or can tell when it will happen. Usually after the motor warms up or has been run for a bit the problem goes away. Then, throughout the fishing day, the loss of rpm's occur again. I am trying to figure out if this is a fuel problem or an electrical problem. Prop is newer and hub appears to be in place and holding. I have read several other posts concerning this type of problem and I have some ideas but I would greatly appreciate some fresh ideas from the "pros". Thank you, in advance, to any and all who will respond. Great site!
--Forrest--

GoToFish

Cadet
Re: Loss Of RPM's

I am not a "pro" but my 85 90hp was doing the same turned out to be the stator.

studlymandingo

Commander

The stator could certainly be the culprit; as could a few other things as well. When this problem occurs, have you ever tried pumping the fuel bulb?

Have you done a spark test?

Tell us what you have tried thus far.​

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

go to maxrules.com technical assistance for elect testing procedures.

nashton

Cadet

Mine does the same thing. I usually can restart it after pumping the bulb. what turned out to be your problem?