How big can I go?

Supertacks

Recruit
I have a 22 foot Sundancer pontoon boat that has a 45 HP motor on it. Needless to say it is less than desirable to putt around the lake at 3 mile an hour.

Can anyone point me to a resource or advise me on a ball park motor size that will get me on plane and pull a tuber or skiier?

What do you think th elargest motor I can hang on this thing would be?

Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: How big can I go?

Look for the capacity tag on the pontoon. It will tell you maximum people, weight, and HP. The tag may be located in a number of places but check the console, the transom bracket, or perhaps on one of the side panels.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

If all else fails, contact the manufacturer.

CATransplant

Admiral

I did a little looking around, and the largest outboard I saw on a 22' Sundancer was 115 hp. You don't say what year or model yours is, though.

A thought: It's a little hard to believe that your 50hp is only pushing that 'toon at 3 mph. Perhaps you were exaggerating a little? If not, then you need to get that outboard serviced.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Pontoon boats pull skiers??

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Pontoon boats pull skiers??
Yeah, seen one on lake cherokee in tennessee. Was driving their 16 foot Lund for the motorboating merit badge, and I see a toon pulling a skier. Looked dorky, and most certainly wasn't a speed demon, but the inline 3 Johnson (couldn't see the number, but it was a 3 banger) was pulling him. Looked to be 19 maybe 20 feet long. Wouldn't have the power to jump a trick ski, and might be tough for a slalomer to start on a single ski. But it can be done.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Keep in mind that most 'toons are displacement hulls and not intended to plane off. Adding more power may get you faster - to a point. Not knowing which hull you have, I'd go by the tag and leave it at that...
- Scott

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

BJCSC -- you betcha a pontoon will pull a skier. These are not efficient hulls so they take more power than a "V-hull" but they can tow just fine if properly equipped.

2broke4this

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They use a pontoon to pull the pyramid for the Fourth of July ski show on the lake at my parents' house! It's pretty entertaining to watch. They have all these ridiculously nice ski boats and still use the pontoon. I'm not sure if there is a real reason behind it or if it's just tradition now, they have been doing it for years.

-Carl