98' Regal 1700 LSR

jacobmorin

Seaman
I am interested in purchasing a 98' 1700 LSR Regal. Can anyone tell me if this was a good year for Regal boats and if this boat is a quality boat? I have only owned two Starcrafts prior to this boat, and quite honestly I don't know much about the regal company.

The owner states that it has a cockpit cover, bow cover, trailering cover, and somewhere between 100 and 200 hours on the motor. It is being sold for $8,300, does this sound like a good pricer for this year/model/make of boat?

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 98' Regal 1700 LSR

I had a 98 2100 LSR that I really liked. Similar boat. I'd look under the carpet in the ski locker for signs of gelcoat cracking and check the cockpit sole thoroughly for signs of softness (rot). Check the helm seat for structural integrity and inspect the side window trim for cracks. Can't think of anything else (specific to that model) too look at. Obviously, you'll need to make sure it's mechanically sound.

Price depends on condition more than book value at that age, but have a look at www.nada.com and see what they say it's worth. Trailer should be priced out too, it's not normally part of the boat price.

Bear in mind, you can get a brand new 17 foot boat and trailer for another 5 grand...