Porpoising boat and motor height

manitoba1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After doing a motor upgrade to a Suzuki 70hp 4 stroke a few years ago I decided to retire my 1987 Alumacraft Classic side consul for a new 05 Alumacraft Magnum 165 CS. At the dealership they installed my engine at the 2nd to lowest setting and the boat porpoised significantly even at the lowest trim settings at increased speeds and had significant spray from the front of the engine. I had the dealership increase the engine height one hole and performance improved but still porpoising at anything above the lowest setting on the trim gauge. I tried raising the engine to the highest setting and still I have to have the engine trimmed way down. On the older flatter bottomed boat I could trim the engine way up with my 17 pitch cupped edge prop and never experienced porpoising as the prop would break the surface before that possibility could occur. The new boat is at least a few hundred lbs more and a v-hull but I find it strange I have so little ability to trim up when running before the boat begins to bounce. I have two forward mounted trolling motor batteries and the starting battery in the rear. I'm not sure if this is normal for this style of boat but I guess I was expecting a bit more ability to trim up. Overall the boat handles great but rpm seems to be down about 300rpm to 5500 and top speed decreased a few mph from the old boat with the same engine.

I'd appreciate any comments or advice on this issue of porpoising. Maybe smart tabs would help out but though maybe others might have a similar boat and motor combination. The boat is rated up to 90hp and is almost identical in weight and hull dimensions to the new Alumacraft Classic/pre 05 Navigator boats.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Porpoising boat and motor height

If going up always helped, you need to keep going. Even if you have to get a manual jackplate. Spray coming up from the front of the gearcase indicates it's way too low.

Try moving some weight from the back to the middle. Is the transom angle the same on both boats?

Yes, Smart Tabs will help but get your set up dialed in first. If (when) you do get the ST's mount them EXACTLY as John tells you to. Even if every "expert" around tells you differently.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I have an '04 Navigator 165CS which is the same basic hull as the Magnum 165CS. Mine is powered by a 75 Merc and it is equipped with Smart Tabs. My engine is currently mounted two holes up (but could go higher) and it is a sweet ride. I can trim up to the point where spray goes to almost nothing and she rides smooth as silk.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

what prop are you running? I noticed on my Lund 16' that without the 2-12v batteries up front I can trim 3/4 before I porpose, with the batteries I can barely get 1/2. This is using a stock aluminum prop. I also have the heavy Johnzuki 70hp on the back.

manitoba1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rancherlee: I'm running a V1700 but I have a stainless 13x17 cupped to try and also a 17 pitch U-series.

Silvertip: How was the boat before installing the smart-tabs? I think I'd like to get optimal performance stock and then maybe think about the smart tabs. What model of smart tabs are you using?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Before you go comparing props, you need to know the Merc is a 2.3:1 gearbox. That means he turns a higher pitched prop than he would if it were a 2:1 like some engines. Also, need to compare WOT rpms on your engines.

Mark