noisy nissan 9.8 2 stroke

bluecrab

Recruit
hello everyone this is my first time on here..I have a 2001 nissan 9.8 2 stroke shortshaft that runs great. It has a rattle though that is constant when idling and slightly above idle till it gets to a certain rpm that you cant hear it, It doesnt seem to effect the way it runs, its just noisy, someone was over today and commented on it..Im somewhat hearing impaired and didnt really notice it, I just thought it was a noisy engine.He seemed to think it was a bearing or some slop in the rods or something, I bought the engine used and dont really know the history , how many hours etc. is it anything to worry about? it runs and idles great , and pumps fine and doesnt seem to get loaded up or anything and doesnt overheat, is it something I should worry about? or should I just run it as is?

bluecrab

Recruit
Re: noisy nissan 9.8 2 stroke

I would say its like a constant buzzing sound like there is some slop in it.as long as I dont abuse it will it last a while? I am sure it has been running for a few years in that condition

robnrick

Recruit

I also have a nissan 3.5hp that I just purchased used which is also simularly noisy. When I pull the roap there is a dry scraping sound. When started it rattles loudly and like yours, the noise is no longer noticeable at higher RPMs. At low rpms as well as the rattle, there is a bit of shake like something is out of balence. Any suggestions appreciated from others and if you find out please let me know as mine may be the same. Thank you.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Noise is subjective in terms of normal and Abby Normal. In general terms, if you hear something that makes a rattle or scrapes you have a problem. The problem could indicate a bearing or crank failure or bad rings or something as simple as a loose screw that is holding on a part. Last year we had a man bring in a new engine for a 20 hour check up. He said it was making a rattling sound and he was worried he had made a mistake when he bought it. We test ran it and heard a rattle too. When the tech removed the engine cover he saw three spare loose spark plugs the man had put inside the engine cover for an emergency....Sometimes it's the really silly stuff.