Propeller

Derric

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1984 Galaxie 16' openbow 90hp mercury outboard 2 stroke. I lose alot of power when I go to the high country to fish. I heard I should change my propeller. It is currently a 17" pitch. Is there one where I could gain my power back when up in elevation and still be able to use for recreation on the lower elevation lakes? without having to be changing props. Thanks!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Propeller

Howdy Derric.

Welcome to iboats. :)

Let's move this to the Prop Forum where you should get more help.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I have a 1984 Galaxie 16' openbow 90hp mercury outboard 2 stroke. I lose alot of power when I go to the high country to fish. I heard I should change my propeller. It is currently a 17" pitch. Is there one where I could gain my power back when up in elevation and still be able to use for recreation on the lower elevation lakes? without having to be changing props. Thanks!

Not much you can do...need to go down an inch or two in pitch. Less air, less power..

j_martin

Admiral

Might be easier to get a set of jets and carriers, and rejet for high altitude. You won't get it all back, but you'll get some of it.

Just be sure you put the fat jets back in when you come down the hill. If you don't, it'll run like a scalded dog till it locks up.

hope it helps
John

Derric

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for moving my ? I'm new to the outboard motor. So when you say go down in the pitch to go to maybe a 15" pitch or 19" ? As far as the jets and carrier I dont know cause so far everyone I talk to says they change the propeller. I just need to know what pitch? Thanks!

propper_advice

Seaman Apprentice

i say go with piranha propellers the versitility they have with their interchangeable blade system is unparalleled. You can have one set of blades for low altitude and another set for high altitude it works out great, check it out at www.piranha.com

--Nick

kp913

Seaman

Since you have to pull the propeller to change blades on a piranha anyhow, you might as well just buy an aluminum propeller that you can repair if you damage it, in a 15pitch, and change propellers when you change altitude. Unfortunately, there is not much more you can do.
www.propellerforum.com

Derric

Seaman Apprentice

I had my boat up at high altitude and it runs pretty good when I bring the trim up but it sounds like its not getting enough air can you tell me which screw to turn to give it some more air on the carbs?