Bendix Sticks

Zamboni

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Merc 9o hp, the battery is fully charged and connections all good. The starter spins quick, throws the bendix up to flywheel and engine starts, then when bendix returns to bottom it sticks there-needs to be pried with screwdriver before it is 'free' and can be moved by hand upwards. It will remain down if starter is spunn, stuck in position. Is there a bushing or some 'user servicable' part the bendix is sticking to in the down position....maybe gunk? I lightly oiled it, didn't help.

Should I remove starter, clean everything?....or maybe apply degreaser with starter on engine?

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Bendix Sticks

Just my opinion but I would have the starter rebuilt or replace.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Zamboni, The bendix rides on an interally threaded shaft. It sounds like the threads are either dirty or more likely, messed up. You may be able to install a washer to keep the gear away from the bad part.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Do the simple things first. Remove the bendix and clean the grooves in the shaft and the mating ridges on the bendix. Inspect the grooves and the ridges and use a file to dress any burrs you may find. If that doesn't fix the problem replace the bendix.

Zamboni

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Took the starter off, took bendix off that and cleaned everything. Threads are perfect but if I start the bendix at top of shaft and spin it down with a little speed it jams at the bottom. I filed ends of threads in brass bendix, that helped a little but still jams if spun downwards with force.

I put a plumbers o-ring at machined shaft 'lip' the bendix stops against-not sure how long that will last but jamming the bendix against it about 20 times caused no damage. Band aid solution but lets me get out fishing tomorrow-I'll keep an eye on that o ring, who knows-may hold up fine.

fishdabayou

Cadet

Zamboni, I have the same problem (started Sunday) with a merc 125 (2002). I did the same thing you have done and got it working, but I will order a new starter drive gear and replace it.

Zamboni

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Worked well here today, I'll keep an eye on it. I'm looking for a machine washer to eventually take the place of the o-ring....seems like the gear should be dropping on to something like that so thread can't bite into anything and jam.

All I caught was a sunburn-great day to be on water in Ontario.

croSSed

Petty Officer 1st Class

"All I caught was a sunburn-great day to be on water in Ontario."

Right on. You know what they say: "The worst day fishing is better than the best day working."

TG

jebeebe

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would try working the shoreline with a blue and chrome rattlin rap this time of the year. Always worked for me...............Jerry

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Blue and Chrome Rattle-trap......one of my all time favorite bass lures for working over a weedbed.

An auto parts store usually carries shims (flat washers that have a small OD as compared to the ID). However, they may be carbon (not stainless) and if you are in a salt water environment they may not do too well.

I sometimes use WD-40 on the Bendix to help it do it's thing.

Mark

Pwc001

Recruit
I had the same problem with my starter, I bought a new one, and it does the exact same thing. The old starter was also throwing the bendix too high, and causing it to run off the spiral gear that throws it up. But my question is, why would a brand new starter be doing this, it is not dirty or even been on the water yet? Is this just a problem with these starters?