Mercruiser 3.0 EFI

freelunch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercruiser 3.0 EFI

I have no idea but am always wondering why the marine industry doesnt do certain things. Like using turbochargers on more engines.

enn858

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree - but maybe there are reasons - however EFI should be standard in 2007 IMHO.

The GM Vortec 3000 (=engine that the Mercruiser 3.0 is based on) has been avaible with EFI for years now.

QC

Supreme Mariner

The 3.0 is Merc's entry level product. Keeping cost down is everything with that type of product as it does not command a premium. The same thing with Turbos, more cost, higher exhaust temps and higher maintenance. Yes, they may be able to make some better power to weight ratio claims, but the premium necessary to recover engineering and additional per unit costs would be high, so owners would say "I coulda had a V8" . . .

P.S. They do have a new, even lower performance product just announced. Another low cost product that they designed to compete with small outboards. They probably figured that was where to spend their low end engineering bucks = new business . . .

enn858

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The 3.0 is Merc's entry level product. Keeping cost down is everything with that type of product as it does not command a premium. The same thing with Turbos, more cost, higher exhaust temps and higher maintenance. Yes, they may be able to make some better power to weight ratio claims, but the premium necessary to recover engineering and additional per unit costs would be high, so owners would say "I coulda had a V8" . . .

P.S. They do have a new, even lower performance product just announced. Another low cost product that they designed to compete with small outboards. They probably figured that was where to spend their low end engineering bucks = new business . . .

The new 100 hp i/o Vazer is actualy an old Opel/Gm engine - however way more modern than the 3.0 - it is a OHC engine w. fuel injection and standard FWC the drive seems to be new though

sippi

Cadet

I would rather have a 3.0 with a turbo than 4.3 you can get the same or near the same HP and burn a third less fuel!

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Marine power is all about low end grunt. Not exactly a turbos strong point. As for EFI, QC more than likely spot on with his answer.