1987 Rinker with 4.3 OMC Cobra ??? Help

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hi, im new to this forum & new to inboard/outboard motors. I just bought a 1987 Rinker V-180 with the 4.3 v6 OMC Cobra outdrive. i was out on the lake a couple days ago and she started fine, i let her warm up & put her into forward no problem, so i went for a cruise for 15 minutes and all was fine so i turned off the motor and started fishing, well when i went to start her up there was nothing, after a little looking into things i pulled back on the shifter a little and she turned over and fired up, im thinking the cables stretched.. anyway it would not go into forward at all and i didnt push the matter, she did go into reverse very easy so i just backed accross the small lake here in Cheyenne and got her back to the dock. i put her on the trailer and took it to Island Lake Marine in Fort Collins Colorado. now im waiting for the the bad new?? The Service manager Was very familiar with OMC COBRA outdrives. This boat was purchased new by an elderly man and put very little hours on it, i bought it from him for $3,000. the hull is in MINT condition. The inside is very nice too except a little tear in driver seat. This boat runs Great. im very Bummed about the cable problem Thou.. i had no clue that the cobra was a problem outdrive?? any tips & tricks will be greatfully apreaciated.. Thanks Bill.

olbuddyjack

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1987 Rinker with 4.3 OMC Cobra ??? Help

Cobra had some gear and cable problems when they first hit the market but subsequent campaigns (recalls) pretty much cleared them up.

The worst thing about them is their age, parts are getting hard to find.

If you change your own gear oil get a service manual! You don't refill them through the dipstick hole. If you do it wrong it may damage the drive.

Since you found someone familiar with Cobras they'll know what to do with the cables.

I have had very little trouble with my '87 Cobra 5.7. Use it, service it regularly and enjoy it.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like you have 2 problems, the not starting moving the shifter sounds like the neutral safety switch in the controller and the not going into forward problem could be a cable adjustment or replacement or $$$$ Hopefully he will find and fix the problems quickly and get you back out on the water without breaking the bank!

Dakota47

Thanks for the replys, I just got off the phone with the service department, They said new lower shift cable is needed & module. all cables adjusted, & they are going to replace the raw water pump, tune up engine(it was cutting out at full throttle a little), & change gear oil in outdrive also. By the way, Does a 1987 4.3 V-6 engine have points or electronic ignition?? Thanks for the help.. Bill

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

1987 would have had points to start with but it could have been upgraded by previous owner to electronic?

Dakota47

Thanks Bob, The Service manager said it should be done by friday afternoon. i sure hope to be on the water this memorial weekend.. ( thanks to all the Veterans )