Starter instilation

HTG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just wondering how long and difficult the starter instilation is on a 35hp Mercury?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Starter instilation

Are you installing a starter on a rope engine or replacing one, HTG?

If you are replacing one please tell us why you think it needs replacing. Three out of five replaced starters don't need replacing. Other faults are causing the problem.

HTG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The engine has a ingnition start, but I am only guessing that it is the starter. Check out the other post I have "35hp Mercury" on page two. What else could it be?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Ignition switch, solenoid, bad connections, neutral start switch, bad battery cables, bad battery are just a few of the problems.

HTG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can rule out the battery stuff. Anyway a guy without a lot of engine experience, checking that other stuff?

I also noticed that when I took the spark plugs out I was able to get a full pull when trying to rope pull it, but when the spark plugs were in I could not get a full pull. Does that say anything?

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just read your other thread.

Do you have the rite spark plugs in????

Are they too long????

Does the engine turn smooth with them out???

Does the starter turn the motor with plugs out????

HTG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got the right plugs in I am positive of that. The engine won't turn with or without the plugs.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

In the Engine FAQs, "Outboard won't start" there are instructions for troubleshooting starter troubles, HTG. Give that a try.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Do you mean it wont turn by hand or by starter??

Is the motor seized?

HTG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No it won't make any sound either way or start to turn. When the plugs are in I think its siezed.

HTG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

But no one told me how long generally it would take? Or the level of difficulty?

So can someone tell me about how long it takes to install a starter and solinoid on a 84' 35hp Mercury? That would be great? I am trying to figure out if I can do it or if I need to take it in.

redjmp

Chief Petty Officer

Starter = 4 bolts + 2 nuts for electrical. Solenoid = 2 bolts + 4 nuts.
Re + re both in an hour if you are any good with wrenches but if you have to ask then you'd better take it in and expect to be charged 2 hours minimum.