Steering cable style vs horsepower?

reelfishin

Captain
I am in the process of replacing the helm and steering cable on an 18' open boat that will most likely have a 70 HP Johnson motor. I have several other boats, all similar but this is the only one that had the steering cable that goes throught the tube in the motor with a steering rod. The others all have fixed cable ends and steer the motor by way of a pivot bolt. Is there some rule of thumb as to which style should be used on any particular boat?
My one boat has a 65HP Merc and uses the single bolt type of steering, this boat is only slightly larger with only 5 more HP, can I use this much simpler steering set up? It certainly eliminates rusted steering tube problems.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Steering cable style vs horsepower?

i would use the teleflex rotary no feedback system. simple to install, and just service the tilt tube once a year. if salt water twice a year.

reelfishin

Captain
Re: Steering cable style vs horsepower?

Both styles that I refer to are teleflex cable systems. On one style the cable attaches to the motor and the housing is fixed to the tube on the motor bracket, on the other the cable housing is fixed to the transom. The latter style only connects to the motor via a pivot bolt, no steering linkage or rod is needed.