Gray Gummy Stuff Out of Prop/NO Reverse

th3rdcoast1997

Recruit
Guys,

This is what I noticed in the few past weeks:

1st noticed- About 2 weeks ago Gray Gummy Stuff out of the center of prop and it was a little greasy too. I did call a local mechanic and showed him too and he said not to worry about it. It was normal build up. It was just blowing out. 3-4 oz. of ozzie stuff.

2nd noticed - Yesterday I went out on the water and everything was fine. I launched and put the boat in reverse and no problem. Later that day I went to reverse and it did not want to go into gear and the trottle was tight. I put it into neutral and moved it back and forth a bit tight. Then I went to put it into reverse again and pulled the cover off to see if it was shifting. It looked fine(with motor off at this time). I turned it back on and went to shift and grinded like Grandpa's old standard truck.

3rd noticed- I talked to mechanic and he told me to un-screw the lower unit screw and take a look at the oil. Awww guess what I found-----Grey Gummy STUFF...

What does that mean and what are my options PLEASE?????

Thanks,

Th3rdcoast

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Gray Gummy Stuff Out of Prop/NO Reverse

time to rebuild the lower unit. open it up, hard shifting cause by rust, caused by water intrusion.

th3rdcoast1997

Recruit

TashasDaddy,

Re-build the lower unit. NOT sound dumb but are there kits on this site and I am pretty mechanically inclined. Will that be hard to do and can I do it myself or get a mechanic?

What it cost for me and a good mechanic should charge?

Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if you are mechanically inclined, and can follow a manual, you can do it. it's not rocket science. get the model # of the motor, and i'm going to post a link where you can get the engine specific, manual, or take that info, and search ebay for the manual. http://www.kencook.com/evinrudejohnsonmanuals/

complete engine diagram, and parts list here:http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/Accessories/Literature/

i don't know if the iboats store will have every thing, but ishopmarine.com should.
i will be out of touch, till friday.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

What kind of motor are we talking about here? Year, model? Actually, it would be hard for anybody to give an honest estimate without opening it up and looking.