Power ratings

LORDY611

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently read here that Lunds are able to handle more HP than they are rated for. I have a 1989 (?) 16' with a 30 on it, and I want to get to the max it is rated for which is 40 hp. I am curious what you veteran Lunders think is too much for this boat. Would I be flirting with disaster going up to a 50? Normally I would never fool with overpowering something, but it seems there are more 48s and 50s available than 40s. All opinions and viewpoints welcomed. Thank you.

Captain Paul

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Power ratings

Lund makes a fine boat, and I'm thinking an extra 10 hp won't rip the transom off. But, (there is always a but) the enforcement folks in the midwest would not take kindly to your extra ponies, I can't say about your neighborhood, but here, if they look at the plate, and they do if they feel some kind of inspection, for whatever reason is warrented, you will get a warning or a fine. Heaven forbid there be a real problem sometime with someone else in the boat. If your over the rating, well, use your imagination. My opinion only of course.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Unless your water patrol owns a rebel (I am assuming that is what you have. Specs are right) he will go by what is on the plate, and not know better. There is somebody on this board who knows of a place to get an "updated" certification plate.
The HP recommendations go by boat length and width. Many manufactures will make it strong enough to hold that HP. Lund is made to be stronger than that.
I personally haven't driven one of those boats over idle speed. (boy scout camp. We used the 1600 pro sports with 80 yammadingers for the speed runs)
But, it felt like enough boat for more HP. Fairly stable, and felt long for a 16 footer.
I am in no way recommending this, but am just saying the boat could hold more, and you could get a new plate.

LORDY611

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have been on the lake in Maine for almost 50 years and seen one game warden. I am concerned with the weight of the motor, or torque putting undue stress on the structural components making for a sloppy boat in the future. Safety and longevity of the boat and occupants.
Sounds as though the 48 or 50 wouldnt rip the transom off.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

The johnson/evinrude 40/48/50/55/60hp twins are all built on the same powerhead for many years so weight isn't an issue (~155-170#). With a 40hp rating it sound like you have one of the bench seat model lunds. Its probibly built on the same hull as my Lund pike (lund used the same hull on MANY different boats) and mine is rated for a 50hp tiller/75hp side steer. My hull is 16' long by 72" wide beam

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

The johnson/evinrude 40/48/50/55/60hp twins are all built on the same powerhead for many years so weight isn't an issue (~155-170#). With a 40hp rating it sound like you have one of the bench seat model lunds. Its probibly built on the same hull as my Lund pike (lund used the same hull on MANY different boats) and mine is rated for a 50hp tiller/75hp side steer. My hull is 16' long by 72" wide beam
Not necessarily. I have driven a rebel, which is 16 feet long, and has a 40 horse max. It wouldn't be built on the same hull as your pike, as the HP rating is based solely on hull size and yalls is different.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

Not necessarily. I have driven a rebel, which is 16 feet long, and has a 40 horse max. It wouldn't be built on the same hull as your pike, as the HP rating is based solely on hull size and yalls is different.

HP isn't based on hull size, my boat would be rated for a 105hp according to the USCG equation. My brother in law has a 3 year older Lund than mine and the hulls are identical (length,width, depth, splashwell size) only his doesn't have a livewell, rod locker, or front casting platform like my Pike and his has a 40/60 rating compared to my 50/75 rating. His boat with a 60 is just as fast as mine with a 70 since its ~350# lighter. Its all in how the boat handles speed and how it does is performance tests. The funny thing is 16' Rebels in the Early-mid 90's are built on the same hull as my late 80's Pike and they really dropped the HP rating for some reason. The Rebel came out the same year that the Pike went from a semi V hull to a Deep V hull.

LORDY611

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I measured the beam on mine and it is about 65", not 72 like yours Rancher. I guess I will stay within posted specs, and keep looking for a good 40. Next task is to fashion some sort of helm or console to hookup all the controls. Switching from a manual everything tiller steer to elec. start/controlled shift and throttle with steering cables is not simple in a boat that is basically an overgrown rowboat. Can anyone shed any light on good helm designs/materials suggestions, and best way to attach to the factory carpeted wood floor?

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

HP isn't based on hull size, my boat would be rated for a 105hp according to the USCG equation. My brother in law has a 3 year older Lund than mine and the hulls are identical (length,width, depth, splashwell size) only his doesn't have a livewell, rod locker, or front casting platform like my Pike and his has a 40/60 rating compared to my 50/75 rating. His boat with a 60 is just as fast as mine with a 70 since its ~350# lighter. Its all in how the boat handles speed and how it does is performance tests. The funny thing is 16' Rebels in the Early-mid 90's are built on the same hull as my late 80's Pike and they really dropped the HP rating for some reason. The Rebel came out the same year that the Pike went from a semi V hull to a Deep V hull.
With homebuilt boats I know it is. I am about 98% sure that the manufactures have to follow the same regulations. The PDF file with those specs should be on here somewhere. I have seen it posted a time or two.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

I measured the beam on mine and it is about 65", not 72 like yours Rancher. I guess I will stay within posted specs, and keep looking for a good 40. Next task is to fashion some sort of helm or console to hookup all the controls. Switching from a manual everything tiller steer to elec. start/controlled shift and throttle with steering cables is not simple in a boat that is basically an overgrown rowboat. Can anyone shed any light on good helm designs/materials suggestions, and best way to attach to the factory carpeted wood floor?

my factory floor has 5" tall aluminum stringers that the 1/2" marine grade plywood is pop riveted to. I just got done redoing ALL the plywood and carpet in my boat. Also the 40hp is a good choice if its a Johnson/Evinrude engine since it will have a 45cid block which is big for a 40hp. I had the 55hp (crank rated, about 48hp prop) version on my heavy Pike it managed to plane out close to a 2000# load (boat, motor, 3 people, 3 batteries, and a full livewell.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Overpowering a boat is illegal period. While you may never be stopped by the water patrol, DNR, County or other agency, just have an "incident" and the lawyers will have a field day deciding how to divide up your stuff. If you own nothing of value, go for it. But if you own lots of stuff and have an accident, I assure you it will belong to someone else when the dust settles.

LORDY611

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found a 40 hp Merc with low hours for a fair price. Now to convert the tiller/manual everything Johnson 30 to elec. start, remote operation 40 Merc. I have assembled the necessary major parts & pieces, and now have to build a console, extend battery cables, and install everything. I am going to document most of the upgrades with pix and can post later.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Anyone that powers a boat with an engine larger than the certification tag says is max HP, has a couple of issues to deal with and boat damage is the least of the worries. Law enforcement certainly frowns on the practice and although the chance of getting a citation are slim, its the lawyers you need to be concerned about. Have an accident, whether it's your fault or not, and someone else will own your stuff. Any legal technicality results in an immediate neglegence verdict.

LORDY611

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anyone that powers a boat with an engine larger than the certification tag says is max HP, has a couple of issues to deal with and boat damage is the least of the worries. Law enforcement certainly frowns on the practice and although the chance of getting a citation are slim, its the lawyers you need to be concerned about. Have an accident, whether it's your fault or not, and someone else will own your stuff. Any legal technicality results in an immediate neglegence verdict.
I guess that was for anyone who may have advocated using a motor larger than the boat was rated for, right? If meant for me, please recheck the leadoff post in this thread again. I took very seriously the advice given by you and others regarding overpowering and elected the maximum hp in my purchase, not more. I appreciate your collective advice.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

I am in no way recommending this, but am just saying the boat could hold more, and you could get a new plate.
Just quoting myself in case some of yall thought I was allocating it as being okay. It could be done, but most definitely shouldn't be. I think the original post was seeing if it was able to be done, and not legal/safe/right/etc.

With homebuilt boats I know it is. I am about 98% sure that the manufactures have to follow the same regulations.
Well durn. The 2% came through.