'87 OMC 2.3L transom shift cable.

d_glover25

Seaman Apprentice
I've read many threads on the OMC recall because of the destroyed gearsets. I don't think its that bad on this boat but I can't tell. How much should I expect to pay for labor to adjust or replace the transom shift cable? Is there a way to tell if the clutch dog is ruined without gutting the lower end? The boat will not stay in forward gear and its really hard to get it there, reverse is fine and shifts smoothly.

poettone

Recruit
Re: '87 OMC 2.3L transom shift cable.

Well, first of all I have researched this topic in depth. I have a 1988 Sunbird with the OMC Cobra drive and the 2.3l engine... I have only had this boat for a few years and If I would have known the problems I was going to have with it, I never would have purchased it.

The information I gather is that they were replacing the cable assembly at no cost up through 1994.. Now both companies are out of business, Sunbird and OMC. So if you are looking for a replacement, good luck..

I have surmised that the only way to get this system serviced is to find someone that knows what they are doing with them. If not, as in my case we are out of luck in some ways..

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: '87 OMC 2.3L transom shift cable.

First of all read this..
http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/kw-shift.html

Best thing to do is go ahead and replace the cable.The drive must be removed.
After market cables are around 100 bucks and sometimes you can still find original OMC cables.
You MUST have the factory service manual to get this adjusted right!!

My last Cobra drive shifted perfect after following the manual to the letter!