Evinrude Fast Twin - 18 HP ID and Fuel Tank

wetdog56

Cadet
Hi, I am new here and am trying to ID a motor given to me. It is a Evinrude 18 HP Fast Twin. Serial # is 15028-20825. It has a seal on the cowl that says "Golden Jubilee". What year motor is this? What fuel/oil mixture should I run? Lastly, the fuel tank is horribly rusted. This is a two hose fuel system. Does anyone know a source for a new fuel tank? Thank you

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: Evinrude Fast Twin - 18 HP ID and Fuel Tank

1959, fuel mix is 24:1. Try Schmebay (auction site) or visit www.aomci.org and check the club/chapter link to see if there's a club/chapter near you that is having a swap meet sometime this summer.

larky

Petty Officer 1st Class

try e-bay for a tank

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Those 18's are great engine's. I have a few of them. If you cant find a double tank you can always add a fuel pump and convert it over to a single line modern tank. From '60 on that's the way they were anyway. Seach this forum on how to do the conversion. It's been discussed before.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

btw, before spending any $$$ on it or get a tank, do a compression check to make sure it's worth putting $$$ into it. If you have good compression then all the rest can be fixed up relatively inexpensively. They almost always need new coils as they get old and crack and misfire.

wetdog56

Cadet

Thanks for the advice! I did a compression check and it is like new. It was my dad's motor and he says he used it something like 14 hours total time. It looks brand new. He left the fuel tank sit around with 1/2 full and the tank rusted like crazy. I did not know you could covert it to a single line, I will look for how to do that on this site. Thanks again all...you are great.

One last question, are there good sites to get parts for this engine? I kinda thought that there were no parts around for something this old...sounds like I am wrong.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

"14 hours" doesn't mean a thing. If it hasn't already had the coils replaced, they need to be. They will be all dried up, brittle and cracking. They all are. Guaranteed. They have coils, carb kits, water pump impellers right here at iboats.

wetdog56

Cadet

Thanks again...I will order a couple coils. It was a bit confusing at first, but I found where I can get them. With this old of a motor, I assume there is not a water pump stream to visually look to see if the water pump is working. How is the best way to determine that the pump is working (other than when it seizes up when it isn't working)?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

The water out mixes with the exhaust so you can see if it's working. I dont think the 59 has a thermostat so there will always be water coming out with the exhaust. If it had a thermostat, out flow would vary. You're referring to a 'pee hole' telltale and that did start til later models.

Yes, common parts are still available. My local OMC dealer can get parts back to '57. Before that it gets tougher.

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer

btw, before spending any $$$ on it or get a tank, do a compression check to make sure it's worth putting $$$ into it. If you have good compression then all the rest can be fixed up relatively inexpensively. They almost always need new coils as they get old and crack and misfire.

Not to rain on your parade; but, you will have the north side of $150 in this project. Ask me how I know.:D It was still money well spent.

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just add to the initial once over for that motor, check the lower unit lube for metal and water contamination. If the compression is good and the lower unit is ok, give some consideration to converting it to a single fuel line setup. The cost of the conversion is about the same as a clean pressure tank. When you get that far there are folks on here that can source the parts for you and instruct as to how to do the conversion.

Bdoverspowa

Recruit

The water out mixes with the exhaust so you can see if it's working. I dont think the 59 has a thermostat so there will always be water coming out with the exhaust. If it had a thermostat, out flow would vary. You're referring to a 'pee hole' telltale and that did start til later models.

Yes, common parts are still available. My local OMC dealer can get parts back to '57. Before that it gets tougher.

Hey I need a lower unit were can I find It.

Bdoverspowa

Recruit

Just add to the initial once over for that motor, check the lower unit lube for metal and water contamination. If the compression is good and the lower unit is ok, give some consideration to converting it to a single fuel line setup. The cost of the conversion is about the same as a clean pressure tank. When you get that far there are folks on here that can source the parts for you and instruct as to how to do the conversion.

Were can I find a lower unit case.:rolleyes:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Go to aomci.org and post a want ad on their Webvertize page for a lower unit or gearcase.