50HP mercury

mann1961

Recruit
Hi' I am working on a 1985 50 HP Mercury outboard, I am changing the power pack (switch box) CDI 174-56454K1 because after doing a visual inspection the coating started to melt. Also changing the stator because the resistance was not within range. CDI state that if there any voltage on the kill switch it could ruin the power pack. Check with volt meter red terminal to kill switch wire black to ground, turn switch to ON not start there is some minium voltage. Is my ignition switch going bad, has anybody came across this before what will the best procedure to follow. Any input on manner would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

jmburock

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 50HP mercury

I had something like 0.05 volts at the black/yellow terminal on the switchbox after I put the new switchbox and a new ignition switch in. I don't think 0.05 volts is going to damage anything. If it said 12.6 volts, then I would worry...any other thoughts anyone?

Laddies

Banned
Re: 50HP mercury

Any voltage on the black/yellow wire with the switch in any position can kill the system. If voltage is encountered on that wire it's usally a bad ign. switch. The reason the book says any voltage must be repaired is it's probably what damaged the ign. the first time and it is only going to get worse over time.