Laddies-need advice

jebeebe

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Bob,
I worked out the reverse gear thing on my ob343140 60hp merc. Was off one spline on the upper shift rod.

The thing I need advice on is the warning horn problem. The motor was overhauled last winter and the first thing on the water was "over heat/oil" warning. There was plenty of water coming out the pee hole and no steam so I can't believe it was hot. It never came on untill the rpms reached around the 5k mark. I tried to keep the r's down for break-in. The motor ran sweet and smooth and if the tach was right had plenty of r's left like the prop might be pitch too low. My heat sensor wire goes to a grounded lug on the block which seems odd to me but that's where it was. I pulled all the plugs this morning and they were all clean. Does that mean water in the cyl? I have a 25:1 oil mixture. Also I pulled off the Autoblend last winter, do I need to unhook a wire somewhere? The motor purrs like a kitten and has lots of power it's just the warning horn. Someone said if exaust is getting in to the water jacket (cracked block) it would heat up the water and set off the horn. Any thoughts on that? I would expect the motor to miss if that was happening. I am baffeled . Any help>...............Jerry

Laddies

Banned
Re: Laddies-need advice

First the cracked block thing is all wet, if the engine runs alright and waters not squirting out of the side of the block it's not cracked. The sender wire should go too a plastic block not too a ground screw on the block. If when the horn goes off it is a steady tone then it should be heat, the first thing I would check is the popit valve. It could be sticking or the diaphragm could be stretched and not opening the valve all the way. If the problem is not the engine actually heating up the temp sender could be bad. On occasion the oil module will short out internally and cause a steady beep like a temp problem but when that happens the tone is usually not as loud as normal. This type of problem can be a real pain...good luck...Bob.

jebeebe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Bob,
Thanks for getting back to me. That's good news about the cracked block. What is the popet valve and where is it. I thought I had handled every part of that engine and don't remember seeing anything like that. I have heard guys talking about it but just assumed mine didn't have one............Jerry

Laddies

Banned

Jerry, I just embarassed myself and cked the manual to get a picture and that serial number group don't have a thermostat or popit valve, if it did it would be under the exhaust cover where there is a raised boss in the form of a circle about 2" in dia. Glad I cked or I would have been more embarassed and you would have been less happy also--Sorry-Bob

jebeebe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Bob,
No problem. I didn't think it did as I have handled about everything on that motor. I couldn't find the rectifier though and I took it off and replaced it and didn't remember it. Any more I forget a lot and do some stupid things.....Thanks again...................Jerry