'94 Rage Boston Whaler Jet engine blues

sharondodge

Recruit
Marine Max here in Miami just burned up my engine: idiots were playing with it, and then walked off and leaving it running, during service. Engine virtually melted and broke bigtime.
It is raining a mixed yuck of oil and water now, and has returned by trailer to my great auto garage, where just last week it checked out and perormed perfectly perfect in all respects. ArgggHHHH!
Trouble is, I love the jet boat part of the deal, it is a "new" boat to me, perfect for my needs, and engine was in great shape before the" service" (they were doing BODY work no mechanical!!)and I will not switch to out-board, so I guess I have to rebuild it. Or replace it.
Where do I start? Can I get new engine somewhere for this, my beloved 94"Boston Whaler Rage? I have a good old fashioned engine lovin' auto mechanic, who will do all he can to help me with this.

Is there a jet engine I can "susbstitute"? OMB is out of business ( Johnson and Johnson , right?) so parts must be frightful hard to find and cost big$, correct?

Any and all counsel( except "walk away and keep on walkin" will be appreciated. I already love this Whaler in particular.)
I am esp. wondering if there is a Yamaha that I can drop in, or some other jet engine, and what size is sugggested by you other Rage users?( I have heard the original 115OMB was an 'underpowered' choice in the originall install on Rage14'.

What size model etc. to get, and do the change out with, would be fabulous to know from someone who has done it that way.
If not, how do I begin a re-build? Any advice appreciated.
I am still a little sick as I write this. They just blew it up today this morning, and I will likely have to sue to get them to take any responsibility for it.

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: '94 Rage Boston Whaler Jet engine blues

i would call Boston whaler
have your boat hull id ready
also let them know what exactly happened

zugzug1983

Recruit

Hello fello Rage buddy. I have a 96 Rage with the OMC 115 and a 98 Rage with the 175 Merc XR175. I have good news and bad news.
Bad... As you well know OMC sold out to Bombardier which decided to not continue the jet drive application.
Good... There is a company that seems to have plenty of NOS for repairs on the OMC 115 application. I have used them and they have been very helpful. As far as the V4 115 OMC powerhead, any outboard powerhead around your year should work. You should be able to get a good used one for less than $1500.
Hope this helps my friend and good luck.
Zug Zug
The company is Turbojet Marine Products
turbojetmarineproducts@hotmail.com
847-395-3509 ask for Lisa

SJ~brett

Cadet

drop in a 701 or 760 engine out of a waveblaster, waveraider, waveventure etc yamaha watercraft. it will bolt right in and use the same electrical box and everything as your 6m6 650 thats in there

emc

Recruit

Hi, Are you saying a 701 or 760 yamaha will bolt into a 115 omc jet drive on a 14 rage whaler? with no mods? spline or muffler ect? Emc

And-Con

Petty Officer 2nd Class

same engine in a different boat here, the outboard and jet drive engine are not *identical*, the heads are minorly different, i bought a mostly complete powerhead from an outboard (jonnyrude 115) and am in the process of trying to bring things together, aside from the heads i have yet to find any other differences, but would not be surprised to find more later.

jhoppe

Recruit

I am a student at MTI in Bradenton and just completed reinstalling a 115 OMC in a '14 Boston Whaler Rage. It's hard to adjust the timing and carbs unless it's in the water. This one is a '95, me and my partner pulled the intake manifold, replaced the gaskets, plugs, went through the carbs, fixed the navigation lights, replaced the blower, and are waiting to get registration from the school to do a sea trial. I will post the results when we get a chance to run it for a few hours. I'm excited to see what it will do. The design seems fairly poor, but the engine is basically an Evinrude/Johnson 115 hp powerhead. I would think you would be able to replace it if it's beyond rebuild with a similar powerhead. To the person who had their's destroyed by the marina, you can bring it here for the cost of parts and free of labor charges to get it worked on. I'll keep you posted. Thanks and good luck.

Marine Max here in Miami just burned up my engine: idiots were playing with it, and then walked off and leaving it running, during service. Engine virtually melted and broke bigtime.
It is raining a mixed yuck of oil and water now, and has returned by trailer to my great auto garage, where just last week it checked out and perormed perfectly perfect in all respects. ArgggHHHH!
Trouble is, I love the jet boat part of the deal, it is a "new" boat to me, perfect for my needs, and engine was in great shape before the" service" (they were doing BODY work no mechanical!!)and I will not switch to out-board, so I guess I have to rebuild it. Or replace it.
Where do I start? Can I get new engine somewhere for this, my beloved 94"Boston Whaler Rage? I have a good old fashioned engine lovin' auto mechanic, who will do all he can to help me with this.

Is there a jet engine I can "susbstitute"? OMB is out of business ( Johnson and Johnson , right?) so parts must be frightful hard to find and cost big$, correct?

Any and all counsel( except "walk away and keep on walkin" will be appreciated. I already love this Whaler in particular.)
I am esp. wondering if there is a Yamaha that I can drop in, or some other jet engine, and what size is sugggested by you other Rage users?( I have heard the original 115OMB was an 'underpowered' choice in the originall install on Rage14'.

What size model etc. to get, and do the change out with, would be fabulous to know from someone who has done it that way.
If not, how do I begin a re-build? Any advice appreciated.
I am still a little sick as I write this. They just blew it up today this morning, and I will likely have to sue to get them to take any responsibility for it.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Mercury has package engine and jet 200 and 250 horsepower