Head gasket? Exhaust gasket?

bowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys!
I just realized I might have blew a head gasket. Last trip to the lake, we were going full throttle and then the engine just died. Would re start with difficulties but not rev up much. When I was managing to re start it, saw smoke coming out of the back of the engine and from the lower carb. I freaked out. Managed to get back to the ramp very slow. Back here, found the 2 starboar spark plugs were totally loose! Tight them and the engine starts and runs fairly good but doesen't sound right, sometimes misses and backfires.
Took the plugs out again and noticed water on them, cleaned them, re started and looked around....yes there are leaking water around the port bank gasket, the other thing I noticed is there's smok coming out of the little grill down by the prop. I remember saw just water coming out of there....
Any ideas on what to replace? I have the OMC manual, it is a 1974 Starflite 115hp.

Thanks for any advice!
Juan

bowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Head gasket? Exhaust gasket?

That is a good question Thasha's, I don't know. But I would like to know! Don't know why the spark plugs became loose either, maybe running the engine like that caused it..I don't know...No overheating alarm, water is always sputtering out of the two relief holes and from all the holes on the loewer unit. Where's the exhaust gasket located?

What's involved on this job? I don't see detail on my manual...

bowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

TTT
So.....There's no specific process on the manual, so I assume is pretty streight forward. But I have some questions. Do I need to have the heads re surfaced in a shop? Or can I do it my self? Is it adviceable to change the head cover gaskets as well? I think I'm gonna take one o f the heads off today to get a better idea....

bowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anyone done this job and have some input?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

If you have the proper tools/machines you can resurface the heads yourself. I would take them to a machine shop that does marine work. You don't want to have more metal removed than absolutely necessary. Do both heads and use new head gaskets. Re torque the head bolts after a couple of complete heat cycles.

I suggest also that you replace the water pump & t-stats - - your description fits an overheating scenario.

bowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, I will rather take them to be done. In the manual they reference a very simple process using 2 different weight of emeryl paper and sand it against a flat surface in a "8" motion.....
I will put a new water pump and impeller as well.....oh my...I love boating....