Cooling on 82 60hp Johnson

TiminIN

Seaman Apprentice
The cooling system streams well out the pee hole for about the first 10 minutes and then it slows down and starts to sputter out instead of stream. Could this be the impeller, thermostat or something else?
Thanks,
Tim in Indiana

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Cooling on 82 60hp Johnson

it could be impeller, as it pumps constantly and keeps the power head filled, the pee tube is the last in the cycle, no pee no cooling, could be warped head or exhaust plate, or gasket, allow hot air being force into cooling system under pressure, not allowing the water to rise. thus no water getting to the head to cool.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Here's a swag. I only know what you told us.

You start the engine and the thermostat is closed. All the capacity of the water pump goes into the exhaust manifold where the pee tube is usually connected and you get decent flow.

Later on the stat opens and part of the water pump's outlet is now diverted through the heads via the open stat. This shunting of the water pressure is enough to reduce the pee line till it stops.

I'd go after an impeller on this one.

Course your water pump is supposed to put out around 5 ish psi at idle and 10 or so at WOT. This would tell me that once you ran the engine to WOT the pee would return.....does it?

Mark

TiminIN

Seaman Apprentice

No Mark the stream does not return so I turn it off before it gets too hot.

TiminIN

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Guys, I guess I don't know how to get to the impeller. I bought a OMC manual and either it's not very clear or it's harder to do on my motor than I thought. Can anyone explain?
Thanks,
Tim

johnson1989

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your impeller is #16. IF its been awhile I would replace the whole pump. You will have to drop the lower unit. Not to bad of a job

Attachments

• 82.jpg
    82.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 0

johnson1989

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is a nice video also

http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin//YaBB.pl?num=1113876330

Not sure on your 60 HP but usually the most difficult thing is getting the shift shaft off. IF it is similar, you should have two screws to loosen on the shaft below the carbs and that will allow the linkage to drop everything to drop. Put it back together in the same gear you took it out and don't spin the shift shaft. Make sure you have all the bolts off and one if hidden under the trim tab,. Good luck, reply back with problems if you have any and the results.

TiminIN

Seaman Apprentice

Not sure if there are screws to loosen below the carbs. I took out the 4 bolts to lower the unit and nothing happened, it wouldn't budge. I like the video, it will be a useful tool once I can get the lower unit off.
Thanks for your help. My OMC manual really doesn't tell how to get the lower unit off, is there other literature I should get?

TiminIN

Seaman Apprentice

By that diagram it does look like there could be a smaller bolt under the trim tab. I'll check that out. Thanks.

casi77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

there are six bolts holding the lower unit, 4 very visible, other 2 where the cavitation plate is (roung thing on top of the propeller). ..one infront of the other..

when you doing all this, put the shifter in REVERSE, then take off the starter to get to the 2 little bolts under the carb holding the shift shaft... there are two little bolts, you only need to loosen one of them, that is horizontal (bolt head is looking at the starter side).

then lower unit will slide right off..

to get to the impeller, just open up the top impeller housing cover, believe its 4 lil bolts holding it, very visible.. then im sure you know what to do after that..

TiminIN

Seaman Apprentice

Hey guys,
I found all of the bolts but I still can't figure out how to loosen the shift shaft. I did find 2 little bolts but they look like they hold the motor mounts down. Any ideas on how to tell me which bolts hold down the shift shaft?
Thanks for all your help.

johnson1989

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you look closely you should see you shift rods under the carbs. I replied to your PM

TiminIN

Seaman Apprentice

All right, I got every thing off, change out and put back together. One of the fins on the impeller was going the wrong direction. :confused:the bad news is that now it's not peeing at all.

TiminIN

Seaman Apprentice

Could still use some dialog on this subject of rebuilding the water pump and now there is less water being pumped then before.
Thanks.