Bent Prop

brentcausey

Cadet
On my 18 foot runabout I have a problem. The big metal piece under the prop... not the prop itself but the large piece of metal that sticks straight down that is under the prop is bent, more twisted, really. It's not a significant bend but it's noticable. A) is this possible to repair without having to replace that ENTIRE metal casing. B) If it's not possible to "bend" back or fix can you just replace the housing or do the internals go with it?

PS I bought this boat like this, it had to take a significant hit and I know I haven't hit anything hard enough to bend that. It's scratched, too, like it hit concrete or maybe even a ramp.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: Bent Prop

Most that try to bend them back into shape break em. If it's not effecting the handling I would leave it alone. It can be cut off and a new skeg welded back on without replacing the gear case but it would have to be disassembled before welding. The heat from welding may damage seals. You could also opt to cut some of the skeg off and install a "Skeg Guard". You'll have to Google that.

brentcausey

Cadet

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I saw the "skeg guard" product, that's pretty neat. Nice to have even if you don't have a bent skeg. When I saw it was one big piece I was like oh nooo. Thanks.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I bet the previous owner backed up the boat on the trailer with the drive down. My starcraft was like that when i bought it. I took a die grinder and got it looking pretty good.Painted it and you could never tell..Even grinding a couple inches off does not affect handling..