SX drive "clicking"?

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer
Hey everyone.
Took the boat out to the bay today and she ran really well but I heard what I thought was a valve tap. After I got it home to flush the drive out the drive was clacking in neutral. The drive was up and to the port side. Does the angle make the u-joints do that? I am thinking I shouldn't hear any noise. Your probably going to ask if I aligned the coupler good and the answer is, to the best of my ability. The alignment tool showed splines all the way around (in the grease) but just a "tad" more at the bottom. I kept trying to get it dead on but couldn't get better than that. Spun freely and you could slide it in and out with two fingers very easy.
So what is the clicking--clacking? Just because the drive was at a weird angle? It wasn't in gear..
Thanks for any insight.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: SX drive "clicking"?

It's possible. Let the drive down and start it up again to see if the noise is still there.

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer

Put it down and set her straight and the noise was cut down by 90% but still a faint click/clack. I inspected and greased the U-Joints and they were in great shape.
I am a FREAK with a capitol F when it comes to noises. I will be popping valve covers off to check valve adjustment. Once I heard the ticking it was all I heard the rest of the trip....
Should there be a slight noise to the drive at about 1100-1200 rpm, it's not there at idle.?
Thanks for the quick reply reel poor

Smart Boy

Cadet

My Mercruiser 260 has a similar noise. Ended up being the exhaust shutter. It makes a noise that sounds like a collapsed lifter, but it goes away at higher RPM due to the increase exhaust flow. Just something to look into.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

The drive shouldn't be making any clicking noise. If you know you have a valve adjustment problem I would suggest you go ahead and make those adjustments. It may be that your hearing a noise in the exhaust caused by valve adjustment problems. I would go thru all the valve again. If you have one a little loose you may also have one a little tight, either could possibly cause a noise in the exhaust. Also wouldn't hurt to check the gear lube.

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like a U-joint starting to go but could be lots of things. Be careful !! But while idling put it in forward or reverse and see if it makes noise while in gear? SX drives (and Bravos) sometimes get slop in the gear cone and they sort of rattle while idling in neutral.