Tilt Lock ? :{

murraygw

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1956 Johnson 10 hp QD17. I unlock the base to tilt it up for travel. But it will not stay in the tilted postion. Is there a way to fix this I really didnt want to rig it. Thanks Guy M.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tilt Lock ? :{

There are a number of trailering support brackets available, right here at iboats.

And of course there is the way that everybody did it back in '56. Tilt it up an stick a wooden stick in on top of the stern brackets. Best to take some cord and tie the stick so it doesn't bounce out.

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tilt Lock ? :{

A few years ago here there used to be a bunch of talk about transom savers and how they weren't the best things to use on an outboard while trailering, but for the $30 I spent on mine it's probably been the second best investment (aside from good life jackets) that I've made for my boat. After I had the motor lock on my manual tilt give way and break off my skeg when almost home I figured a transom saver would be a good investment and hasn't failed me yet. It also gives me peace of mind knowing that if the lock on the power tilt and trim unit I bought gives way then the seals and hydraulics in it are safe.

I like mine and won't trailer without it.