Trim goes down but not up

Rock Hall

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm having a problem that started last season and has been intermittent. I can trim the drive down, but not up, sometimes. 1989 Alpha One Gen 1. The last time I had this problem, the tech at the shop said he was able to clean the sensors up and they worked fine till the end of the year. My boat sits in salt water all summer.

Is there a simple way to clean these up? I thought he said it was the wires that got corroded. oh...and the trailer switch works fine.

Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Trim goes down but not up

Salt water!!!!! Replace the trim limit switch, or keep tinkering with it all year.

Rock Hall

Petty Officer 1st Class

does the drive need to come off to do that?

rebars1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had the same problem but solved it by wiggling/pulling and pushing back on the wiring harness plug at the pump. Same issue... a little corrosion or loose connections of the wire contacts.

kush3406

Cadet

I had a similar prob on my 84 chapperall. Turned out to be one of the two selonoids on the trim pump assembly. I would go through it all with a test light and clean all connections first. Sure beats Pulling it out of the water.

Capt kush:

Rock Hall

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the ideas. Sometimes it does work, but expect it woould get progressively worse. I will try the ideas given, if that doesnt work, I guess It'll have to undergo more extensive repair.

Thanks Again

Rock Hall

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for those instructions Don. Excellent!