No Fire?

dsolo

Recruit
:) I recently purchased a 1971 thunderbird equipped with a 1972 johnson 60 hp motor. I have good compression,clean fuel, new battery, and i checked the coils using a later model evinrude/johnson out =board shop manual.I popped the flywheel off but can't fiqure out where the points are to see if they are fouled.The man i bouught it from said it ran fine when he parked it, don't know if it is true or not. the boat sat for about 4 or 5 years. any help would be appreciated.I have es=xhausted all of my knowledge i have tryin to fiqure this problem out:)

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: No Fire?

A 1972 would be 65hp. A 1971 would be 60hp. Not even similar in ignition systems. 60hp has points under the distributor cap. 65 has no points or distributor cap.

dsolo

Recruit

i looked on the motor and the model number is 60ESL71C. I can only assume that it is a 1971 because of the numeric number 71 in the model number. Any input would be appreciated. thanks

dsolo

Recruit

I did check under the fly wheel and it revealed 2 sets of points. I cleaned them and cleaned the fly wheel , still no fire?