need help wrong drive . will it work?????dealer says yes

delsol

Senior Chief Petty Officer
hi those that have been following my story from the shop from hell 5 months now for r+r 5.7 swap...
they presure tested my drive and changed my water pump said drive was fine . i asked what's the gears as it was off the boat when i got it..
today the owner said while his guys were bolting on the drive .
i had a 184.....????? i think. he said its a good drive and i can run a 23 prop to make it work fine...is he nuts or can that be. as i am so pissed at this guy. had he told me 3 months ago i could have got a different one at a real fair price..
89 5,7 260 hp with this drive
thanks all
bob/philly

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: need help wrong drive . will it work?????dealer says yes

You need a 1.50 drive, that 1.84 one is for a 470. (4 cyl engine) it might fit, but it wouldn't be very effecient (less speed very slow out of the hole. And I doubt the 23P prop would do it.

You have every right to be pissed.

delsol

don what can i do .should i take it for a water test to just check the motor or search for a new drive. any more advice. i know its wrong as i will correct it but he's getting it back together to charge me $3500 . but could not tell me what the gears were 3 months ago so i could swap the drive or get a different one...this guy is a total dirt bag. and the worse thing . this is the guy who give good dealers a bad name. as he is a merc dealer.
bob/philly

SuperNova

Lieutenant

For $100 and a half you can get 1.5/1 gears and have them installed in your drive. It's very easy to do. If you are willing to drive up to Allentown/Easton area I can do it for you. Free as usual. Just make sure you get the heavy duty set. It's still cheaper than a new prop and only takes me about an hour to make the change. You probably will be alright with your current set and larger prop for a little while, but that 350 may overwhelm the lighter duty 1.8's and take some teeth off.
--
Stan

flashback

Captain

I believe I would take supernova up on that offer.. and when you pay that other jerk. put a stop on the check as soon as you leave with your boat...IMHO :)

delsol

stan i am in philly near the airport. how can i find out about this..i will drive anywhere. i am 1 hr from allentown
bob/philly
215-771-1350

delsol

flashback . guys who know me know i am a stand up guy . my senior citizen friend who works at the marina said the same about the check.. i hate to do that its like stealing. but he's been stealing from me with no guilt..but i will still pay as i dont want to get into a court battle. i rather get a mag. sign and park it at the marina and say ----- had my boat 5 months and fixed it wrong. put the sign at the boat ramp on my truck
bob

Last edited:

delsol

supernova where do i get the gears from??
bob

f_inscreenname

Commander

For $100 and a half you can get 1.5/1 gears and have them installed in your drive. It's very easy to do. If you are willing to drive up to Allentown/Easton area I can do it for you. Free as usual. Just make sure you get the heavy duty set. It's still cheaper than a new prop and only takes me about an hour to make the change. You probably will be alright with your current set and larger prop for a little while, but that 350 may overwhelm the lighter duty 1.8's and take some teeth off.
--
Stan
You work on Volvo's?:D