6hp lower unit

cubannator

Recruit
hi i have a 6hp 75-77 sea king. i'm getting water in the lower unit. i ordered a new seal kit. so far i have pulled the prop and slip ring off. i can see the seal but i need to get this other part off. it has two screw holes in it but i have no idea how it comes off. any ideas? thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 6hp lower unit

That's the prop shaft seal and bearing carrier. You remove the two screws holding it. Next, use a block of wood to cushion it and with a hammer, gently tap on one "ear until you have turned it 90 degrees. Then tap on the back of the ears alternately until it works out.

cubannator

Recruit

ok are there suppose to be screws in it? theres the 2 holes where they could have been. i can get a couple of screws to put into it so that i can get it out. i was wondering if it had to unscrew out or if i slap hammer needed to be installed to pull it out. thanks for the info.

ntrsandman

Seaman Apprentice

I just did an impeller service on my 83 3.5 sea king. I inadvertantly removed the shaft so the drive gear fell into the L/U. Anyway, I had to remove the cover you are talking about. Being in the automotive field, I figured the threaded holes could be used to remove the top plate. After removing the 4 allen screws, I put bolts of the correct thread size into the holes, pushing against the seal/shaft support, and voila!, the plate came off! No other reason for the holes that I could figure.

Remember to put the impeller drive pin in the shaft before reassembly.