Is carb cleaner bad for the engine?

USAFitz

Seaman Apprentice
I am rebuilding the carb this week on my 65hp '71. I read on some other posts that spraying starter fluid in there is bad because it takes away all of the oil. Is it the same case for a can of carb cleaner? Thanks again.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Is carb cleaner bad for the engine?

Spraying it into a running 2-stroke washes the oil off the surfaces and doesn't clean the carb. You have to take the carb apart and spray all of the internal passages.

j_martin

Admiral

Some people use a spurt of carb cleaner to make a 2 cycle engine start easily. It will also wash all the lube off important parts like pistons and bearings, and likely cause severe damage. Certainly it is harmfull to the engine.

hope it helps
John

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Ta Ta Ta......enter Deep Creep, Sea Foam in an aerosol. This product was made specifically for what you want done...contains it's own oil and other goodies. NAPA, AutoZone, to name a couple.

Berryman's Chem Tool is specifically made to clean engines (carbs), not start them. By the time you reinstall your cleaned carb, there is no chem tool left on it to hurt your engine.

Mark

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Mercury tuner cleaner is the right stuff for the motor internals. Cleans and decarbs. Works same as sea foam but slightly better (probably the same stuff!)

Starter fluids do not have a marine use.

Now to properly rebuild the carb.........

Take it apart and soak the pieces in carb cleaner.....

Scrub the goo and deposits out......

Re-assemble with all new stuff and enjoy.

USAFitz

Seaman Apprentice

awesome, I cleaned it as you said and she now purrs like a kitten. I did the cardinal sin though. I have two carbs and only thought one needed cleaning. As soon as I got it all together, the top one started giving me the same symptoms. But that's alright, I'm enjoying taking her apart and learning. That'll probably be good for if she breaks down in the water. anyway, thanks all for the advice, it worked.