water mooring??

pipedup

Cadet
Hi there I have just purchased my first boat and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I could do to moor it offshore/offdock, I want to build something to tie it too for the weekend without haveing to pay the big bucks for a boat lift.It is a 2100lb ski boat that I want to be able to tie it safely offshore and it will be able to handle rough waves if the wind gets crazy. Any and all help will be appreciated.Thank you.

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: water mooring??

get a big 200 litre drum and fill it with concrete, then get a stainless steel rod that's bent in a U shape and concrete it in there with a chain and a buoy ......

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Generally, you need to get a permit for a mooring. The permit can run a few hundred, and so will the mooring. Check with the Harbor Master or lake association before you do anything.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Whatever you use you want to insure it will stay put under storm conditions and is adequately marked so as to prevent unsuspected contact.

The moor needs to be far enough from shore so that you have adequate bow line to allow for the boat to respond to large waves.

Whether or not you tether the transom I'd say is your call. If storms only come from one direction, I'd do it. If not, I'd probably still do it just have a generous amount of line.....you don't want your boat to float up to your moor and get the line tangled around it when the wind is light and variable.

Engine should be tilted up and water should be deep enough for boat to pitch with the waves without bottoming out.

Best to have a night light and like Mark said, best to check with the local governing agency to determine what is allowed and what not.

lastly, I'd have an automatic bilge pump (bilge pump with float switch).

We used to go to grannies every summer and would be there for 2 weeks. 16' tri-hull boat was moored during that time. Lake was 5 miles across so wind could get pretty nasty.

That was '71 timeframe and I have long forgot what I used for an anchor; sorry.

Mark

tommays

Admiral

Have done trailers , docks , and moorings the mooring is a PAIN IN THE AZZ

Really hard to clean and keep up the boat even getting the cover back on on a nasty day is bad

Tommays

pipedup

Cadet

Wow thanks for the quick replies. I am relatively new to this and one question I have is what is a transom?The anchor buddy is basicly what I am looking for other than I don't want to have anything going to the shore line.I love the 45gal drum idea however would I have to have an elastic or something connected to it to allow the boat to pitch in the waves.Thank you for all the replies and I am sure glad I joined this forum as it appears the information will be invaluable in the future.Once again thank you.

James

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the transom is the back of the boat. if you don't know what that is, you best take a safe boating course, before you hit the water, there are some on line, or you can contact the US Coast Guard Auxillary, or Power Squadron, which offer great courses, and you get to meet great people, maybe even a new friend with some experience to help you get a handle on you boat.

pipedup

Cadet

Thank you very much that is very informative.I just picked the boat up today and upon reading the manuel I LEARNT ALOT of valuable information, sorry for asking such seemingly silly questions.The offshore mooring info has helped tremendously, thanks guys.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Just something to think about:

Lets say that you fill a 45 gallon can with concrete and a handle. How you gonna get it in the water where you want it? It will weigh hundreds of pounds. Won't be able to carry it onto your boat. Even if you use a hoist, how you gonna get it off the boat and into the water?

pipedup

Cadet

That is definately something to think about???I might have to rethink what I could use that will be more user friendly to get it in the lake???Any suggestions?Cinder blocks perhaps?

flashback

Captain

I used an old sbc engine block once. ran a chain thru one of the bores and fastened a bouy to the other end.. it took 4 of us to lift it up and toss it overboard. that was the scary part.....:)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Pipe, Moorings in sand or mud (soft) bottom are usually mushroom anchors with chain, connected to a buoy. The wave action works the anchor deep into the bottom, and the chain is there for chafe resistance. The thing is that it is difficult to remove the anchor, once it is well set, however no storm will pull 'em out either.

pipedup

Cadet

Has anyone tried a twist in grainery anchor? They are relatively inexpensive and looks like they would way easier to put in and take out, the only thing I will need is an elastic type rope to tie off too.Any good suggestions for such an item?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the anchor buddy i put the link in about comes in various lengths. the even have a dock buddy.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I suppose you could start with a 3 gallon plastic bucket, fill it with concrete and set in a big eye bolt. Attach chain and bouy then set it in the water. Then you can make more 3 gallon concrete weights with eye bolts. Go to the bouy, thread the chain through the eye bolt and let it sink to the bottom. Do that a few more times and you should have a big weight on the bottom of the lake. Should be strong enough to hold a small boat, and by doing it in pieces, you can use your own boat to bring the weights out to the bouy.