Mercruiser 120 Stalls In Water HELP!

Galaxy81

Recruit
Hello i have an older Mercrusier 120 that i just purchased. The previous owner had the boat running but it wouldnt run under a load(at the lake). So i bought the boat redone some of the electrical work and rebuilt the carb(to what i thought was correct but may not be). I replaced all plugs,wires,points,capand button so now i have great fire. I had an issue with the carb "dripping" gas into the carb when the linkage was at its home position. I have an inline fuel shutoff valve so i get the valve back to 3/4 open and it seemed to fix that problem. The boat runs great with the muffs on it will idle great and tach up great goes into gear fine. I took it to the lake today and it ran great at idle pumped water great but wheni put it in gear it would split sputter and die. I belive im either starving for fuel or something else is wrong. I dont have alot of movement when i use the shifter and put it in gear its only moving the linkage at the carb about 1/2 inch or so. I think im just out of ideas to try so if someone could please help id greatly appriciate it.
Thanks for your time and your help!

Galaxy81

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: Mercruiser 120 Stalls In Water HELP!

The fuel shut off valve is not used to regulate fuel flow to the carb. If it's still leaking you still have a carb problem.

You may also have shift cable problems causing the engine to die when you shift into gear.

Fishstick1962

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like you need to go through the carb again with a new float needle and seat. Pay extra attention to the float adjustment and blow out all passages with compressed air. Power tune usually works pretty good for the cleaning.
Hope this helps.

Galaxy81

Recruit

"^" Thanks for your replies. So could the shift cable be an issue or is it the throttle cable thats just not adjusted correct because it goes into gear fine its just not being compensated with enough fuel or to much fuel as it goes into gear. How many rpms should i be running as i go into gear? Right now its about 750. When it goes into gear how far should the throttle plate be open and at what point should i see 2 solid streams of fuel? If the engine is off i can pump the acc pump and see 2 great streams but as the engines running i dont see that unless i really turn the engine up with the throttle cable linkage off. Sorry guys im a rookie at most of this and thanks again for your help!
Galaxy81