Lost compression question

ddennis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok guys..question. My Father in law has a 95 Merc 60 that has 10 psi on 1 and 130 on 2 and 3. he rarely runs this boat..no warning went off before it lost power. Would a busted reed cause near 0 compression like that?? really hoping it is something like this and not more serious internal damage. I dont have the motor in my posession yet. It is in MOnroe, La. and I am in Atlanta. Will probably be going to get it next weekend.

next question...How hard is it to rebuild an outboard?? never done it before but I am a pretty tech savvy guy. Obviously the first step is to get the factory service manual..

If #1 is shot...should I bore just #1 and put new piston and rings..or do the full blown rebuild, boring all 3 and all new parts?

Big Keepers

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Lost compression question

I have a similar problem and asked the same question. Here's the answer I got. If you have a broken reed valve you will get perfect compression if the cylinder and piston are good and there is no crack. Reason being, compression is made between the top of the cylinder and the compression rings. Reed valve has nothing to do with it.

ddennis

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rats..thats what I thought... Thanks for the reply.

Ok Guru's what do I do about fixing this thing now? Obviously I gotta crack the head to see whats up..bore and rebuild #1 or all of them?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

open it up, and we go from there. to early to speculate.

ddennis

Petty Officer 1st Class

makes sense...will get the motor in a week or so and let you know what I find..

gotboostedvr6

Petty Officer 1st Class

im lazy i would only do one but then you will have one in good condition and 2 only in ok condition

ddennis

Petty Officer 1st Class

the way I see it..if I have to pull the other 2 to do the 1...might as well do all 3.

Tasha...what do you think?