Rebuilding tilt/trim

Stinkin_V8

Cadet
What does it mean when the electric motor shaft doesn't reach the pump impeller?

This weekend I decided to start working on the inoperative tilt/trim under my '80 Mariner 90hp (powerhead currently being rebuilt). It's listed in the Seloc manual as Type "A" with the later style of solenoids.

The solenoids were clicking but the motor would not turn. I cleaned the rust out of the armature and the coil with electrolysis and now it spins great. This seems like a great way to get rid of rust, BTW.

When I put the motor back on the pump, the motor shaft did not seem to be contacting the impeller down in the pump. I put the engine all the way up, topped up the fluid and replaced the fill plug. I lowered the engine and turned the engagement screw but still have no movement up or down.

Just to be sure I'm looking at the right parts, the end of the motor shaft had two flat spots forming a rectangular key that looked like it was supposed to slide into a slot inside the pump. I didn't have the pump apart so this is just what I could see by peering into the hole.

My next step is to bleed the system but if the electric motor isn't turning the hydraulic pump, bleeding won't help at all. Any suggestions?

Laddies

Banned
Re: Rebuilding tilt/trim

Some replacement motor required a short stub shaft to reach the pump, last I knew the shaft was available through ARCO

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Stinkin, When you installed the armature into the pump, you should have been able to see the slot in the pump where it fits. If you didn't line it up properly, I do not think you could have put the motor back together.

It sounds like you will need to disassemble the motor, find out the position of the pump mechanism, and positively mate them up.

Stinkin_V8

Cadet

Yup, I could see the slot in the pump. I even tried taking the washers off the bottom of the armature and trying to find the slot with the end of the shaft but I couldn't find it. I reinstalled the washers before final assembly. There was no resistance putting it back together, I didn't have to force it at all. I only put it back together since it was getting dark and I wanted to keep all the parts together.

I also tried reaching the pump slot with a screwdriver but couldn't get the slot lined up with it. I was able to make the pump turn just by nudging the impeller shaft inside the pump. This made me think that maybe the impeller shaft was the same (it was kinda dark peering into the hole) as the end of the armature and that maybe there was a collar missing or something.. I'll have to get out my magnifying glass and re-read the Seloc. :)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Stinkin, You are still using the original armature? As Laddies said, you can buy a motor/upper pump housing that looks identical to the original, except the armature is too short to mate with the pump.

Laddies, Did you say an extension to the armature was available?

Stinkin_V8

Cadet

Yup - original armature. I can't speak for it working in the past but it did appear to be sealed up when I tore into it.

I'm looking at the Seloc manual right now and it's not very descriptive.. Does the armature shaft slide into the valve body cam? If so, what does the valve body cam attach to?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Stinkin, I had always thought the pump was a gear that spins in the pump body, like an automotive oil pump. The slot in the gear fits the tab on the motor armature. I had mine apart several times, and unless the tab was mated into the slot, I couldn't install the end cap (brushes side). I really cannot fathom what is wrong with your setup. Sorry.

Laddies

Banned

Chris, if you goto arcomarine.com and load tilt/trim motors on the second page with the merc pump #6217 you will see the adapter shaft and screw kit I was talking about--Bob

Stinkin_V8

Cadet

Chris - thanks for the input, it helped me understand what's inside the reservoir without having to crack it open.

Laddies - that was along the lines I was thinking. I wonder if that adapter shaft could have slipped off somehow when I pulled the armature out. I guess the only way to find out is to open up the reservoir.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Bob, Thanks for the link. When my PTT Pump failed last year, I bought one of those motor-resvoir combos, with the too short armature. Everything else was identical to the PTT motor on my Merc 1500. I ended up returning it and getting a shaky used unit.

Stinkin_V8

Cadet

SUCCESS!! I took the reservoir off and found a black plastic collar in the oil. Popped 'er back on, reassembled the reservoir and hotwired the solenoids. The trim works up AND down real smooth. Thanks for all the help, guys!

Next up: the trim toggle switch on the controls! :)