noob impeller question 1989 merc150hp xr4

Turkey

Cadet
I have a 1989 mercury 150 xr4 that is running fine but has little or no water comming from the "pee hole", I understand that this is indication of needing to replace the impeller.

I have bought the replacement kit and service manual but from what I have read in there it seems like a lot more work than what I have seen in posts here.

So my question what do I have to do to replace the impeller? Do I have to drain the lower unit and all that? I'm not planning on doing any work to it, but this manual seems to want to pull the prop and a number of other things I really don't see as required.

Is it truly diffucult, or can you just drop the lower unit? If that is the case what do I need to look out for when replacing the unit? It is my first one and I am mechanically inclined, but I don't want to get in over my head. All help will be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks in advance.

Laddies

Banned
Re: noob impeller question 1989 merc150hp xr4

It's not neccisary to drain the unit and remove the prop. This is why never buy a manual other than OEM

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The directions that the Seloc and such after market manuals give is for complete over haul.

gss036

Commander

http://www.in-depthangling.com/foru...91911/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/93/fpart/1

Take look at this url, good info and better instructions, it is all about a picture is worth a 1k words.
If you haven't changed the oil in the lower unit in a while, it is a good idea and really cheap as those seals do fail and allow water intrusion. The last time mine was done on my 89 Merc 200 hp, it had a bad seal and had to be changed. Sometimes you have to have it pressure tested to find where the water came from.

Turkey

Cadet

Hey thanks for the link. She is peein as much as I do now. I had a few minor issues with splines and the shift linkage that made it harder than it should have been; but, other than that twas simple stuff. The link really was helpful, let me know what I should expect and was really close. Thanks for the help!!!