tips for replacing floor...

crudeau

Cadet
Hello all,
I've been searching and scrolling through nurmeous posts on floor replacements. It all seems pretty straight forward. Put back exactly what you take out and replace the foam while you are in there.

My question though, How do you know where to cut the fiberglass in order to get all the wood. Do you just drill some test holes to look for it?

I have a 1989 glassport bowrider with the mercruiser 145 in it. Can't really find any pictures that show this boat with the floor cut open.

Also instead of a new forum,
Is there some place that has a parts diagram for this boat? I need all the rubber boots that are out back to connect to the I/O.

Thanks,
Chris

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: tips for replacing floor...

you need a skil saw, adjust depth to about 5/8 inch. cut out what you know is bad, get to good dry wood. angle grinder works great in tight areas, shop vac there are numerous post on tools, goggles, mask a must. change of clothes in the garage, cause she ain't gonna let you in the house.

Robj

Lieutenant

If you are removing all the wood, where the wood is attached to the hull, I used an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel. The secret is to hold the grinder so that the disc is parallel to the hull, this way you reduce the risk of cutting through the hull. If you hold it vertical, be very careful, it is easy to cut through the hull. I learned this the hard way. A die grinder with a cut-off wheel also works great in tight areas.

Have a great day

Rob.

crudeau

Cadet

I want to replace all the wood. So I guess it's a matter of just keep cutting until I find the edge.

Does any one even have a picture of 1989 glassport bowrider? I don't have an interior. This was a free boat, with a good motor. So i took it on as a full project. Everything I have is in great shape, minus the floor and the rubber boots on the I/O.

crudeau

Cadet

you need a skil saw, adjust depth to about 5/8 inch. cut out what you know is bad, get to good dry wood. angle grinder works great in tight areas, shop vac there are numerous post on tools, goggles, mask a must. change of clothes in the garage, cause she ain't gonna let you in the house.

what do you do when you get to the good wood? you can join the plywood someone? Just caught that you said that. My floor is still installed but from what I can see the stingers and everything else seems to be fully enclosed and solid. Of cource i can't verify that until it's all open.