75hp chrysler starting problems

atreeps

Cadet
hi guys, have had a read through all the previous posts to see if any of the answers were there but couldnt find anything. dont know much about motors and i have a chrysler 75hp (couldnt find any serial number on it and is around a 1985). first thing is the starter motor spin but doesnt always spin all the way up to turn over the motor, i have to lift the starter motors cog up each time before i start it. The next thing is when it does turn the motor over it doesnt always fire up and when it does it sumtimes only runs for a couple of seconds? but then on other occasions it will start up and continue to run? Anyone have any ideas? thanks:)

atreeps

Cadet
Re: 75hp chrysler starting problems

when it gets going it seems to run well, just has trouble starting.

I'm new to outboards too, but I do have some experience with fixing cars.

I'm thinking the issue is your starter. Since it doesn't always push the gear up far enough to spin the engine, I am wondering if the starter is able to spin the engine fast enough to start it; hence your starting problems.

atreeps

Cadet

it often does make it all the way up and will turn it over for a good 10- seconds without it starting. And then other times it will start up almost straight away. bit of a mystery to me

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

If you are sure your battery is good you should take the starter apart and clean it out with WD40 and Qtips. Use mono to tie the springs and brushes in place when you put it back together then cut the mono and pull it out before you close it up. If the starter only spins the motor at half speed chances are it will not start the motor.

atreeps

Cadet

ok will give it a whirl cheers all for the advice