175 johnson wont start

jpwalsh

Recruit
a couple of weeks ago i changed spark plugs , it ran great, only i notices when i moved the lever to fast idle, it didnt change idle speed any reason why?

the worst part of it is when i shut it down to fish, 30 min. later it wouldnt start, it kept cranking, until there was no cranking left. i had plenty of battery , it just did nothing when i turned the key. i got towed in, and since then i installed a new starter , solinoid, and still the same issue, and finally i installed a new ignition switch. still nothing. ther is power to the solinoid just not to the starter, the ignition gets power also to the propper leads.what else could be the problem, the mechanic cant look at it until next week any suggestions what to check?

Big Keepers

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 175 johnson wont start

What year is the motor?

First isolate the boat from the motor by disconnecting the large wiring harness plug. Without knowing the year of the motor it is difficult to know what kind of ignition and electrical system you have. By unplugging the motor from the boat you isolate the kill switch wires that kill ignition when you turn the key to "off."

Did you try to jump the solenoid? I have a remote starter button that jumps the solenoid but you can use a spare battery cable to do this.

Are the batteries charged fully? If not you won't have enough amps to spin the starter motor.

jpwalsh

Recruit

it is an 87, and both batteries are new and fully charged. how do you jump the solenoid? i dont understand how the power connected to the solenoid doesnt go to the starter when the key is turned.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Make sure the starting battery is well charged. Disconnect the positive and negative terminals at the starter. Connect battery jumper cables direct to the starter from the battery. See if the starter works.

Big Keepers

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is one way to do it. Make sure you pull off all the spark plug wires first. ;)

To jump the starter on your motor at the solenoid you need to have a power lead from a good battery connected to the power input side of the solenoid. Then take the jumper cable and go from the positive side of the battery to the small wire on the solenoid, the yellow wire. Not the black wire please. Jumper cables are a bit large for this so what I do is take two battery cables and bolt them to the positive side of the battery. One cable goes to the positive side of the solenoid, the other cable you use to send power to the yellow wire. You need to be very, very, very careful that the loose cable doesn't touch anything else metal and short the battery.