Steering question..hope im not in trouble

john crowe

Seaman
FINALLY..got my boat running. Its a 78 GlassMaster with a 3.0 OMC and Stern drive. Runs pretty decent, i am pleased thus far.

Heres the bad part.....I had the out drive all the way up and went to turn the steering wheel. The steering cable snapped. Right where its mad together it popped. How hard is it to

1. Find such a part

2. Where to find it

3. How hard is it to replace?

I hope im not in worse shape then i think......this sucks

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Steering question..hope im not in trouble

You might or might not be able to find a replacement cable. You'll have to find out if it's flat rack (rack & pinion) or rotary, and what manufacturer of the helm. But also consider a system replacement including the cable and helm. Complete systems are cheaper than certain replacement cables. Click on the Marine Store tab on the top left of this page and enter Steering Cable in the search.

john crowe

Seaman

im not sure exactly all the terms you have mentioned. Can you point me in the correct direction for finding out this information? Can the factory cable be swapped over to another system? this one has a cable that wraps around a grooved wheel behind the dash. It spins on the column and uses a push/pull cable system

john crowe

Seaman

actually....I went back out witha flashlight and looked over the situation. It SEEMS that the cables just jumped out/off of the roller system and just need to be rewound..im HOPING this is all it is.....