Carb re-build question 1973 115 hp

searay24

Cadet
Hi, I am re-building my carbs off of my 1973 Johnson 115. Everything is going smoothly thankfully since this is my first time!! Just a quick question....when I went to take out the slow speed screw plugs they were finger loose all 4 of them. Just wondering if this is some kind of adjustment screw or what because I see that you can gain access to them just by taking the air silencer cover off but I can not find anything in my manual that says anything like that. Also the gaskets that are inbetween the carbs and the air silencer are not in the best shape but don't look terrible. My carb kits do not include these gaskets...are these critical to replace?
THanks a bunch
James

By the way...I am re-building these carbs because it coughs every now and then at slow speed and I was told it sounds like the carbs need a re-build but I haven't really found and plugged orfices or anything...looks pretty spotless. I also re-built the fuel pump.. Just trying to get everything tip top for summer.

searay24

Cadet
Re: Carb re-build question 1973 115 hp

Also one more quick question.....the air silencer to mainifold hose had a big crack in it...would this have caused any sort of problems?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The plugs and/or orfices should not be loose. That could be your coughing problem. Note the numbers on the slow speed orfices. They might not all be the same, and if not, put them back in the same locations.

Replace those carb to manifold gaskets. Leakage there will also cause coughing. It's too much of a job to remove and replace the carbs again just because you wouldn't spend a lousy buck for new gaskets.

The silencer drain hose won't hurt anything if broken, just make a mess.

The biggest cause of coughing, other than dirty carbs, is misadjusted throttle linkage. If one of them hangs open at idle, even just a hair, it might cough.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The last step in a carb rebuild process is to do a link & sync. You need a service manual for that. It's far too detailed to go into here.

searay24

Cadet

When re-assembeling my carbs it says to apply a bead of Sealer 1000 to the outer edge of the new core plug. I did not see any sign of sealer on the old plugs...is this nesasary? I don't want any to happen to get in the carbs and posibly clog a jet.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I usually just put them in dry. If the spirit moves me, I may slop some around the outside edge after assembly just to make sure.

Just flatten the core plugs. Don't go beyond flat or they loosen up again.