boat dies instantly

joshdashnaw

Seaman
Finally got my boat started. Turns out that the choke wasn't working because my battery cable had gotten pushed in the way. Anyways it ran for about 10 seconds maybe, and then died. And when I restart it it starts right up, but instantly dies. I have water feeding to the engine through a hose and suction cup thing, don't know what it is called. After it died I jumped out and looked underneath, and saw that a lot of water was leaking from the side of the boat where the big hose goes into. If the water wasn't flowing properly through the engine will it shut itself off when it gets hot. Or is the problem somewhere else and the leaking water is just another problem. It doesn't try to run, it seems like it is turning itself off.

woodnknots

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: boat dies instantly

I had a very similar problem last year. It would start and run only a few seconds before dying. Turned out I had gotten some bad fuel. I drained the tank, refilled, and had no problems at all after that (although first time out after the new tank, I killed a CD unit, but that's another story).

joshdashnaw

Seaman
Re: boat dies instantly

Thank you. That was one of the next things on my list to do. I let you all know if that works.