VHF Antenna need advice

Vitalii

Cadet
Hi
I have bought new radio, my boat 20 feet . I wish to put 3"-4" antenna, need advice :
1.What antenna to me should be bought?
2.Where I can buy inexpensive VHF antenna.

Thanks

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: VHF Antenna need advice

Unless you find some kind of specially loaded antenna, you ainna gonna get there from here. VHF is a longer wavelength than that and you need at least 1/4 wavelength's worth of length in your antenna. Sounds like you are wishing for a UHF antenna (300 MHz vs 100 MHz type thing). Try a www search......marine radio antennas, or VHF marine radio antenna.

Mark

ziggy

Admiral

they sell antenna here on iboats.

my only advise is get a 8' antenna. the short ones work ok on a sail boat. as they can mount them on the mast. for a i/o. get the long one. with vhf. it's all about antenna height as vhf is line of sight transmission.......

as for which one. i read that the shakespeare 5225 xt or xp are real good for range.....kinda pricey though.....

Vitalii

Cadet

I do not know what buy 3 feet or 5 I have no experience, give advice. I would like 3.I do not know as it works
Thanks

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Length of the antenna is relative to how far you wish to transmit and receive. Short antennas for short distance, long antennas for long distance.

cjames

Petty Officer 3rd Class

a short, cheap antenna

http://iboats.com/Shakespeare_36_3d...449272513--list_time.1179238467--view_id.2307

depending on where you use your boat, a 3' antenna may be good enough. I wouldnt go anywhere near saltwater with it though. VHF is line of sight (for the most part) the taller the antenna, the longer the distance. Why not just use an 8' antenna? I have 2, and I still want taller ones...