How do you install A5 props on a Volvo 290?

GSB Cruiser

Seaman Apprentice
I have a volvo 290 outdrive and im trying to install A5 props. I know the larger 3 blade goes on first, but when I tighten on the "nut" after the first prop, it makes the prop not spin easy. Am I missing a part or is it that I am tightening it too much?

Also, I have one of those "line cutters". Are there supposed to be 2 of those? One in front of both props? Being I only have one, can i just put in in front of one of the props?

Thanks for any advice. I have a book with a diagram, but I think it might be for an earlier model or something. It seems more complicated than what I have.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How do you install A5 props on a Volvo 290?

On the large dia. shaft, you must have either a line cutter with a spacer made into it or a spacer without the line cutter (line cutters are no longer available) installed first then the prop, then the nut. Same with the small shaft. First the spacer or line cutter with spacer attached, then the prop then the prop spacer and cone for the A series props.
Do you have a diesel engine in your boat? Because that is what the A-Series props are for, higher torque and lower max rpm.

GSB Cruiser

Seaman Apprentice

yes I do have a diesel engine.

Last season, this drive only had one line cutter though and there didnt seem to be any problems. What kind of problems, if any, would there be if you only had one line cutter and just put the prop alone on the second shaft?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you left the line cutter or spacer off the big shaft the prop would wear off the anode and the bolts that hold it on, and rub the surface of the bearing carrier till the surface holding the seal was gone.
If the spacer on the small shaft (usually the spacer sticks inside the prop) was missing, the two props would rub together.
Both props need to be tightened down completely. If the rub something, or bind, something is wrong.

Maclin

Admiral

GSB Cruiser,

I just had a similar experience on my gasoline "B" DP290.

Regarding the front prop, the front fish line protector must fit inside the anode on the lower housing. Somehow the anode on mine got damaged and would not allow the protector and prop to slide all the way forward so I had to replace the anode.

Regarding the rear prop, the rear fish line protector has a thrust washer inside the hub and this is very necessary. It slides onto the smaller shaft up to the shoulder and stops just before it would touch the larger shaft. This is what the rear prop tightens up against. The washer can fall out of the protector. The drawings from Volvo Penta do not call out two separate parts for these items.

I had the boat winterized but asked them to not put the props back on as I was going to get new ones later. The parts were left in a box in the boat and I did not get to see what order the parts were removed in. I had never taken them off because this was a new-to-me boat last season and no reason to take them off before the winterizing.

The thrust washer had separated from the rear protector in the box. I put the protector on first then the washer then the rear prop (after the front prop was on). This drove the rear protector into the front prop. I was puzzled for a bit until I realized the "extra" washer fit inside the hub of the protector.

The washer is very specialized, it is about 1/8 thick and just fits over the smaller shaft until it hits the shoulder. It fits snugly inside the hub of the rear protector.

The proper order then of the parts front to rear is:
1. Rear fish line protector (must fit inside anode)
2. Rear prop
3. Plastic washer
4. Tab washer
5. Spanner nut
6. Thrust washer (may/should be "stuck" inside the rear fish line protector)
7. Rear fish line protector
8. Rear prop
9. Plastic washer
10. Cone nut

Another source of drag or noise can be the rear protector contacting the tabs on the front tab washer. The rear protector has to slide over the front tab washer. Be sure the tabs are all bent down enough to clear the inside of the rear protector or there will be scraping noises as the props turn.

I have included a link to the Volvo Penta drawing just below. It does not show the props but it does show the prop attaching hardware (protectors, washers, nuts). The front prop would be after part #38. The rear prop would be after part #43. Note that the drawing presumes that the thrust washer is intact inside the fish line protector (part #43), the washer is not called out separately.

VP DP290 Lower Unit