Motor cover re-fab question

kellydee

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've never done any fiberglas fab but Im good with my hands.Do most things myself.How difficult to gain 2 inches forward clearance on the lower part of my motor cover(the part with blue tape on it)? Basicly cut it out and pull it forward 2 inches.How to go about it?Shop wants $700-900

Attachments

• DSC00953.JPG
    DSC00953.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 0

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Motor cover re-fab question

dude the shop wants that much????? what kind of shop is this?? I go to shops that do fiberglass work all the time. That way i dont have to hear those crazy numbers when i get my cowls made and when i want to glass in a deck im going to put on a aluminum. I had the shop make a glass cowling for a 55 johnson for 30 bucks.

kellydee

Petty Officer 1st Class

C&W Boat repair said $700-$800,Guy who works out of his shop at home$800-$900

drewpster

Commander

Kelly, Shops that give those kinds of quotes do not want the work. Move on, try another place or do it yourself. Unfortunately smaller shops, in every trade, see $$$ signs when they hear the word boat or marine. Being a boat guy I am accustomed to smelling rip off. They all try it.
There is a wealth of information here on fiberglass work. I am often impressed with the quality of work I have seen done by the 'amateurs' in here. I am sure someone can give you a direction to go in.

Bondo

Staff member

If you were to take a Saw,+ Remove the piece Under the Tape,.....

Then use Tape,+ Cardboard to mock up where you Want it to be,.... You can even use the Cut out piece as the forward piece,.....
Then start laying up some Glass,+ resin on the mock up, on the Inside,....
When the Glass sets up, the Mock up can be removed,+ more glass,+ resin added to the outside to dress it up.....

You could Build it Yourself,.... For Maybe $100.00.........Or Less....