Need Manual for a 1955 Johnson CD-12

jwfoster4

Cadet
Does anyone have a copy, .pdf or link for a manual for a 1955 Johnson Seahorse model CD-12. (ser #1253429) I just got it from my grandfather and he was the original owner. It is in great condition, but hasn't been run in 15 years. I am going to replace the impeller, clean it up and see how it runs. I plan to use it and would like to have the manual for proper maintenance. Especially in setting the high and low mixing screws. Any help would be appreciated.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Need Manual for a 1955 Johnson CD-12

great little engine. i just sold a 55 15 hp. best running engine i ever had. DO NOT use starter fluid to try to start , use the premixed gas/oil spray into carb. fuel ratio is 24/1. they are easy to work on. you can make it a new engine for around $140. new coil, condenser,points, wire, plugs, impeller, carb kit. then us Joe Reeves carb settings. also when testing the engine. the legs has to be submerged 1/2 way up, as the impeller is high, and not self priming, impeller has to be below water lever.
http://www.iboats.com/bbboard/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=28;gtid=818798;gpid=818802

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Replacing the impeller is not hard, but surprising in that you have to remove the powerhead to disconnect the shift rod. When the powerhead is off, you will find a spring loaded carbon seal assembly on the shaft. That seal is absolutely vital. Put a new gasket and o-ring on it. If the seal leaks, water gets into the powerhead's crankcase and it's good-by motor!

Should have mentioned that generic service manuals are also available. I assume they have them here at iboats. Also, check your local library. You might be surprised.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Check on ebay, Searayman13 has all the old johnson factory manuals.If he don't have it listed email him and he will find it..Much cheaper than Kencook..:D